Quarantine tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deven

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi All,

This is my first time posting here. First of all, a HUGE thanks to all. I'm very new to this hobby and the advice on here is invaluable.

My question is about quarantine tanks. I have a 20 gallon freshwater which I am currently fishless cycling. After the cycle is done and the first round of fish go in it, I'd like to quarantine the next batch for 2 weeks to ensure they are healthy. I have a small 5.5 gallon setup that I can use for this purpose, and for quarantining sick fish in.

My question is: how do you keep the QT tank cycled when there is no fish in it? I expect it will be empty most of the time. I have a basic HOB filter for it. Does it make sense to keep it permanently on the 20 gallon along with the 20 gallon's filter and transfer it to the 5.5 gallon tank as required or is there another way?

How do other members manage quarantining fish if the QT is not normally cycled?

Thanks!!

When I QT fish which I should practice more. If I plan on going to get fish or order online I start my tank up well before hand with the filter, heater and small air stone. Then I remove some media from one of my HOB's on my 75g and add it to my QT tank. Sounds like a process but I believe there should be some pre planning. I messed up once and now I have a tank with ich.

I'll be sure NOT to make that mistake again.

Well... There's my 2 cents.

So if I understand right, you basically do a fish-in cycle with the new fish. Is that right?

So if I understand right, you basically do a fish-in cycle with the new fish. Is that right?

Not really. I pre plan. So that's say I wanna add fish and I now this say today. I'll start up my tank today. I'll either go to the local fish store and pick what I want and they hold them for me for a pretty long time.

If online I'll order in about 3 weeks from today so the tank is running for 3 weeks with seeded media so I don't see an issue.

Make more sense.

Got it. That makes sense. What about the scenario where a fish ends up sick in the main tank and needs to be quarantined? Not much chance to prep lab there...

Got it. That makes sense. What about the scenario where a fish ends up sick in the main tank and needs to be quarantined? Not much chance to prep lab there...

Nope not at all. Tank water, seed your filter, add a heater and air stone and hope for the best. That's what I call an ASAP move. Move and dump. Can't prep your right.

A lot of people have extra filter media in their main tank that, when they start a QT, they pull out and throw it in the QT filter. That way, the bacteria is already growing on the filter media and they only have to worry about a small ammonia spike initially, before the bacteria catches up.

Once the QT is over you throw out the media and put fresh media in with your main tank to start a bacteria colony for the next time you have to QT a fish. After that you clean out the QT and filters really good and set them aside for later.

This way you don't have to have a QT always running and you don't have to worry about stressing out your new fish with a fish in cycle.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom