quarantine tank questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustOneMore20

Algae Fighter
I am tearing down my 10g soon because I'm just tired of having a small tank. I want to get more harlies and move my betta to a bigger home.

I will be setting up a 38g tank for the harlies and possibly the betta too. I also have another 55g setup for the future.

I thought about using my 10g for a QT tank. I have never quarantined fish before, for my 3 tanks, but I'm thinking of doing it now. I would use a 1 inch layer of gravel or sand...haven't decided yet, a few plants for water quality purposes and for the fish to hide in.

I'm not planning on doing any preventative medicating or any of that...only using meds when needed. I'll keep the fish in there for about 2 weeks to make sure all is well before they go into their permanent homes. I'll probably only use it for tetras and small rainbows (still iffy on this one), but not any gouramis I get.

My question is, does this sound like a good plan? Should I keep my betta in it to keep it cycled, and then just remove him whenever fish are in it? Or should I get me a platy to cycle it and then either remove it or leave it in when I have fish in the tank? What is the best way to keep it cycled...and what fish do you recommend? Remember its only a 10g...and I don't plan to get a bigger tank for QT. If its too small...I just won't QT.

Thoughts?

It's definitely big enough for QT or hosptial tank purposes

There's a very good article here:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/article_view.php?faq=2&fldAuto=35

It does recommend a bottomless tank and plastic plants (easier to sterilize).

As far as keeping it cycled, there's always the handy dandy rotting shrimp. It really doesn't smell THAT bad (unless you put your nose right to the water - but how often do you do that ?), and it can be hidden easily.

I wouldn't move the betta in and out since there's always the risk of a disease getting into that tank.

I don't keep my QT set up all the time. I just dump it out and disinfect it when I don't need it and do lots and lots of water changes while its in use. That's always an option.

I agree with joannde. No gravel, no plants, put away when not in use.

When I need to use the QT tank I do a media change in any of my established filters in the other tanks and I use that bacteria rich (gooey, yuc-ky) media in the filter of the QT tank. Let it run for a day and, voila! it is cycled, with NO3 readings and everything!

Remember that you may need to use the QTT to treat single unhealthy fish, so you don't have to medicate the whole tank. I treated one of my clown loaches for parasites, a few weeks ago. Then you pull it apart, clean it thoroughly and PUT IT AWAY.

Some folks keep it cycled with a snail or something, but I cannot have an empty tank sitting there for too long without having a bad case of MTS. :)

It would be great to use it as both a QT and a hospital tank. I think I'll go with the bare bottom idea then. It will be great to take it down when not in use.

Will fish be ok living in there for 2 weeks with no plants or hiding spots? I guess they will, but I wanted to make sure. I don't want them to be stressed.

Put a plastic ornament for caves. They can be dipped in boiling afterward water and will give the fish some feeling of security.

I keep my QT cycled with a few snails. It's only a minor addition to my maintenance, and the locatuion I have it in is convienient for it. This way it's always ready should I come home with an inpulse purchase, or see someone in the display listing to one side.

The need for hiding places depends on the species. For sterile hiding places, you could use plastic plants or short segments of PVC pipe.

Wide PVC pipe. 3 to 5 inch diameter (unless you have big fish). (next thing you know were gonna see a post titled "My fish is stuck in a PVC pipe!" :p )

I have some ornaments...but they are ugly! I may try to get some fake DW ornament or something. I also have plastic plants but would prefer not to use them.

I also have some PVC pieces....I think they are atleast 3 inches in diameter...maybe 4. I won't be putting any particularly big fish in this QT. I think the biggest fish on my stocking lists are an albino bristlenose (which will be small when purchased) and pearl gouramis (also will be small) and I probably won't put them in the QT, since they are larger than tetras and such.

I hope to move the tank to a table, underneath my 29g tank. It shouldn't be that heavy, with no gravel, so I'm sure that the table can handle it...or atleast I hope. Its a shelf like thing underneath...hard to explain.

Back
Top Bottom