Quarantining New Pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jratuszn

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just bought an albino pleco, and am quarantining it before I put it in the main tank. I don't have any driftwood small enough to fin in the QT tank. Is blanched lettuce a good enough diet while the pleco is in the QT? If not, what else should I toss in (I have added a few plastic plants for hiding places) to keep this fish alive?

Thanks-

-Jeff

Ooooh....plecos!! One of my favorites!

Well, lettuce is a good choice...there is also zuchinni or cucumber....cut it in half, removed the seeds with a spoon....and use a veggi clip to put it in the tank. At night you may want to put an algae wafter in the tank. As long as this is short term arrangement, there should be no problem not having driftwood in the tank.

I guess I'd better make sure my QT is up to specs too-

I'm using the bottom of an old Wet/dry vacuum (don't worry, it was rinsed and soaked and rinsed and cleaned so well that there isn't any issue about contamination) as the tank itself, and I have added a heater and a small sandshark filter. I did not cycle the tank- I only use it temporarily and then tear it down- so I am just using activated carbon to pull out any junk. The water is straight from the main tank, and is kept at the same temp. Is it ok to only use AC for the QT? I only plan to keep it up for a week or so, with daily 10% water changes to keep ammonia down. Lemme know what you guys think.

Thanks again,

-Jeff

Back
Top Bottom