Quarentine for a snail?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ejaramillo01

Aquarium Advice Addict
Normally QT any new fish before is added to my tank.... But for a snail... Any idea?
What I mean is that even if I quarantine a snail I will never know if is carrying an infection that can affect fish.... I have never seen a I'll snail....

So any suggestion in what to do before I add the snail t my 100G tank?

Maybe a salt bath ? Wash him in a tap water?

Thanks

I'm not an experienced snail keeper not have I kept many, but it doesn't sound like washing in tap water will be good. I don't think a salt bath is necessary either. I usually just acclimAte and put them in with no problems.

George9 said:
I'm not an experienced snail keeper not have I kept many, but it doesn't sound like washing in tap water will be good. I don't think a salt bath is necessary either. I usually just acclimAte and put them in with no problems.

Thanks George!

I agree maybe the salt is not good, but the tap water did not sound to crazy for me... I will wait to see if somebody else have a different opinion...

ejaramillo01 said:
Thanks George!

I agree maybe the salt is not good, but the tap water did not sound to crazy for me... I will wait to see if somebody else have a different opinion...

I just thought it wouldn't be good because tap water is not good for aquatic creatures. If you meant dechlorinated tap water, then you could try that. But it's not good to hold the snail under the faucet.

No you do not have to quarantine snails. Disease from snail does not not transfer to fish. Rinse them in tap water because the water that they arrived in may carry disease or the surface of their shell may have something on it. Even with tap water, I'm not certain the effectiveness of rinsing to washing away disease.

Thanks to both of you, I just rinsed in tap water, really well, and I added to the tank.

It is moving right now, looks normal.... We will see.

ejaramillo01 said:
Thanks to both of you, I just rinsed in tap water, really well, and I added to the tank.

It is moving right now, looks normal.... We will see.

Lol sorry I guess I was wrong about the Tap water :p

Back
Top Bottom