quarintine tank question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Solarris

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just purchased an Aquaclear 20 to use as a filter for a 10 gallon quarantine tank. My plan was to attach this filter to my 55 gallon tank for a few weeks in order to cycle it before setting up the quarantine tank but this filter is not fitting on the rim of my tank. I managed to squeeze the filter sponge from the Aquaclear into the filter I am using on the tank, an Emperor 400, and placed the mesh bag with the biomax inserts in a back corner of the tank. This should be enough to seed those with the bacteria I need, right? Also, how long long should I wait till I pull them out and set up my quarantine tank with them?

I would say a month before they're fully seeded. Unless you need your quarantine tank, I would leave the media in the display tank.

Just a general question, why do you want to set up and keep a qt tank running? I usually just set it up as needed and that leads into my next point. If your AC20 wont fit on the 55 rim, then just keep the filter sponges and biomax hidden away or hanging in a bag so they stay seeded and when you need to start the qt then put them in the filter and its already seeded. The reason i say this is because thats similar to what i do and when i need to break out my 10 gal i just put the filter sponges in the filter fire it up, let it run for an hour and its good to go.

If you wanna just seed the sponges then I would seed them for a minimum of 1 week and preferebly 3 weeks.

I'm planning a quarantine tank because I want to finish stocking my display tank. I was trying to add fish slowly to the display tank and made the mistake of not quarantining a new fish because we were about to move and I didn't really have time to seed a filter for a qt then quarantine the new fish for 30 days before our move. I ended up with ich in my tank and lost 2 fish because I wasn't patient enough. The funny thing, however, is that the new fish never showed any signs of ich. It was 2 fish that had been in there from the beginning with no signs of any problems previously that died. We have now moved and I am planning on finishing the stocking of my tank and am going to do it right this time. No more getting impatient and rushing this! I have definitely learned my lesson.

Back
Top Bottom