Question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Depends. They will nip fish with long flowing fins, especially if they are kept in a small tank. Also, they are schooling fish so they will need to be kept in groups of 6+ to stay happy.

In my experience, to agree with Ches, they will be aggressive in groups smaller than 6. I would recommend having no smaller than a 20g tank for a group of 6+.

Ok that's good to know because I had 2 and one killed the other and I will be returning the aggressive one and trying a different species. Ohh and another question I also have 3 orange Von rios and they have a bunch of white spots on them what should I do?

White spots = Ick. Raise the temperature to 82 F or higher and add salt to the tank. Or you can buy medicine available at your local fish store.

Cilantro said:
Ok that's good to know because I had 2 and one killed the other and I will be returning the aggressive one and trying a different species. Ohh and another question I also have 3 orange Von rios and they have a bunch of white spots on them what should I do?

Here's a good sticky on this site about dealing with ich. Raising the temperature is part of treatment, but it needs to be done slowly...don't just crank it up all at once. Hopefully someone else can chime in with the time frame for raising temps. Good luck.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f17/if-you-think-your-fish-have-ich-38796.html

Last edited:
Ches said:
White spots = Ick. Raise the temperature to 82 F or higher and add salt to the tank. Or you can buy medicine available at your local fish store.

In most cases 82 isn't warm enough. Ich has been known to survive up to 89 degrees.. but 86 is a better number. Just make sure there's plenty of water agitation because higher temp means less oxygen. And as said before do it very slowly.. 2 degrees per day at most.

So the ich finally killed all my fishes today and now I need to figure out how to clean it to prevent this from happening again

Cilantro said:
So the ich finally killed all my fishes today and now I need to figure out how to clean it to prevent this from happening again

Sorry to hear that.. if concerned.. I would break down the tank and wash everything with a mild bleach water solution then rinse extremely well, replace filter media and start the cycle over. IMO its always better to be safe than sorry. If you have a qt tank, I would set that up first and get your start on quarentining new stock in that first for a month before adding to your main tank.

Cilantro said:

I suspect that on top of the ich your tank was not cycled.... Just my opinion, but be sure that you fully cycled the tank before you re start to add fish.

ejaramillo01 said:
I suspect that on top of the ich your tank was not cycled.... Just my opinion, but be sure that you fully cycled the tank before you re start to add fish.

It could have been this was my first fishles cycle:(

So my ich tank has ben empty for more than a month now and had had like alittle bit of quarter like a quarter of the wat full its a ten gallon and would the pick be dead by now because of no host or could it still be present?

Back
Top Bottom