Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beginer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,
When the cycle finished, it's ok to add more fishes beyond maximum capacity ? For example, 40 inches of fishes in 30g.
If more fishes are added, the cycle starts over again even I do frequently water change 30% per 2 weeks ?
Thanks.

well the answer is "no" and "maybe" - the "maybe" : that depends on what method of cycling you used.. If you cycled a tank by putting in 3 or 4 small fish (like Danios) then no, you can't add more than "maximum capacity" at once - you should add one or two new fish at a time, at which time you'll notice slight increases in ammonia and nitrite until the bacterial colonies responsible for removing it "grow" to meet the new demands (a week or so perhaps).. if you did a "fishless cycle" according to the conventional "recipie" then when the cycle is complete, you can add "maximum capacity" all together at once immediately after the cycle completes. This is because the fishless cycle yields a much larger, healthier bacterial colony than a handful of small fish would, and in a much shorter time..

the "no" answer from above is this - regardless of the method of cycling, you sholdn't add "more than maximum capacity" - the cycle method only yields the ability to add fish slowly or all at once - the total amount of fish though, shouldn't be more than the tank size can handle regardless how fast or slow they are added to the tank

Hope this helps

When the cycle finished, it's ok to add more fishes beyond maximum capacity ? For example, 40 inches of fishes in 30g.

My opinion is no, never go above the max capacity. fish will be stressed, opportunity for disease will be much higher, and water quality will be harder to control. Just like all animals, fish need a certain amount of space to be comfortable.

Also, take into account how big the fish will potentially grow to, not just the size they are now. that's the best way to calculate fish capacity.

If you want more fish, get another tank going! The bigger the better!

Thanks for your advices.
LFS always have fishes beyond max capacity in every tanks.
I don't think they change water every day, but the fishes look healthy though.

Not meaning to be contary - but our local LFSs (and we have to been to loads inthe last few weeks while we were deciding what tank to buy/ what fish to get/ twiddling our thumbs during the endless days of fishless cycling) work really hard to ensure their tanks are the best. Our local LFS are always cleaning tanks, trimming plants, changing water, scopping out casualties - a never ending circle of tank maintence. Plus answer questions from all those people who haven't found this amazing site.

The poor LFS has to make a profit whilst we do it for fun -think how many neon tetras he would have to seel to keep himself in bread and butter for the year. The LFS only hope to have the fishes for a few weeks before they sell them to loving homes for a few years - therefore they can get away with higher stock levels.

Also, bear in mind that the 20g tank you see at the LFS may not have an overworked power filter hanging on it. It could be attached to a central system that contains several hundred gallons

I have a lightly planted 50 gal that has about 80 inches of fish in it. I've had it for about 18 months like that. They are all mollies and platys (about 10 guppies thrown in for kicks) and they are all very healthy. None of them seem stressed and they are breeding like crazy. This is the only tank that I haven't had problems with. In fact, it's my easiest tank to maintain. I slowly cycled it in the beginning using an Emperor 280, and when the population started growing, I added a second Emperor 280. The ammonia and nitrites in this tank stay at zero. I do keep a very close eye on this tank since it's slightly overstocked, but like I say, no problems whatsoever. Of course, the entire tank volume is run through the filter over 11 times per hour. That makes a BIG difference I'm sure. Of course, I DIDN'T ADD ALL THE FISH AT ONCE. It has to be a slow process. Most of the fish have added themselves to the tank.

Wabyrd, I think it's ok for very hardy fishes like guppies.

Back
Top Bottom