Question about acclimating fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zagz

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have fish coming from Calgary, they are being flown in. Is there anything different I should be doing when acclimating them from acclimating fish from the lfs? I have never received fish from an out of town source before. TIA.

i used drip acclimation from my main tank for about half-an-hour when i received mail order fish about a week ago. they are all doing fine :) . i don't use such drastic measures while acclimating fish from my lfs.

Whenever I order fish to be shipped I ask for the pH that the fish have been kept in. This at least will give me a clue as to how much acclimation the fish will require.

The drip method is the best way to acclimate any new fish. Empty the fish and shipping water into a round bucket and tie off some airline tubing to start a slow drip into the bucket. I will wait til the bucket is almost full before netting the fish and placing them in the aquarium. This can take up to an hour depending on the size of the bucket and the rate of flow. You should never be in a rush to get this done. :wink:

I'd also consider the amount of ammonia that probably has built up in the shipping water. Maybe add some stress coat/ammonia remover first, before drip method?

I would never add chemicals to the water... I don't like the ammonia remover and really i don't trust it, but the drip accimilation is the best way to get your fish safetly transfered. I don't really hook up a drip, but i hang the bag in the water and i use a pipette or whatever and i put about 5ml of water into the bag about every 5-15 minutes.

Ammonia will cause pH drop in the shipping bag, so drip-acclimation works well, as does temporarily lowering the pH of the tank into which they are going (simething we do with our overseas orders)....but...very little should be required, as our pH here is about 7.9-8.1 right now, and ideally, the fish will be in bags only about 5-6 hours.

AshleyNicole said:
I would never add chemicals to the water... I don't like the ammonia remover and really i don't trust it, but the drip accimilation is the best way to get your fish safetly transfered. I don't really hook up a drip, but i hang the bag in the water and i use a pipette or whatever and i put about 5ml of water into the bag about every 5-15 minutes.

I've never done this (ammonia remover) either, but I thought it might be a good idea considering the longer time in a bag. I'm pretty selective about chemicals that will reach my fishies, as we all should be!

Lol Toirtis! You stole the words right out of my mouth! Same question!

I've never tried the drip method before...I'm a bit guilty of impatience on that area. I usually float em for a while and dump em :oops: I suppose I should do that next time though.

I did the drip method, took about an hour, man that is like watching paint dry LOL.I did not add meds, I never do, everyone is in the tank and healthy and happy. The new acquisitions are 2 Aulonocara ethelwynnae , 3 Aulonocara lwanda, 3 Aulonocara mbenji "Royal Blue", 3 "OB Peacock" Aulonocara hybridone. I am so excited, they are so pretty. I will try and get some pics later on.

Here they are, some are good some not so good, but an excited mom can't be held responsible. LOL. Oh and the clowns came out for some pics finally!

Looking pretty good...especially for only being out of the bags a few hours....those are going to colour-up very nicely in a few days time!

They are 2 females to one male ratio with the exception of the ethelwynnae which is one male one female.

Back
Top Bottom