Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-19-2014, 05:05 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Question about adding fish to planted tank

Hey all, I've got a question for ya. I have a freshly cycled, heavily planted 29 gallon. I am determined to put some Celestial Pearl Danios in there, but it looks like the only way I'm going to be able to get those is online. I figure it's probably safe to add 2 or 3 at a time, but I was wondering if it's possible to add 6 (since they're so small)? I would rather not have to pay for shipping live fish twice. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 10-19-2014, 09:54 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

keeping Danios

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtayjay View Post
Hey all, I've got a question for ya. I have a freshly cycled, heavily planted 29 gallon. I am determined to put some Celestial Pearl Danios in there, but it looks like the only way I'm going to be able to get those is online. I figure it's probably safe to add 2 or 3 at a time, but I was wondering if it's possible to add 6 (since they're so small)? I would rather not have to pay for shipping live fish twice. Thanks!

Hello wtay...

Danios are shoaling fish, so you'll need more than 2 or 3 together. I keep Rosey Danios and started with 8 in a 20 gallon tank. These guys are extremely active and shy. I heavily planted the surface with floating plants too. Hornwort is about the best. Pond weed (Anacharis) is a close second.

The fish is hardy, but I wouldn't go too long between water changes. I change half every week, to maintain a constant water chemistry.

Check your local Petco. They'll likely carry Pearls or can get them for you.

B

Old 10-19-2014, 09:58 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If all your parameters are reading ok, should be fine they only get to about an inch, they are beautiful fish.........
Old 10-19-2014, 10:21 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

CPDs are tiny fish - you should be able to add the whole school at once.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:46 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Go ahead and add all of them at once! If your still a little nervous you could do a drip acclimation instead of just floating the bags

Old 10-19-2014, 01:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBradbury View Post
Hello wtay...

Danios are shoaling fish, so you'll need more than 2 or 3 together. I keep Rosey Danios and started with 8 in a 20 gallon tank. These guys are extremely active and shy. I heavily planted the surface with floating plants too. Hornwort is about the best. Pond weed (Anacharis) is a close second.

The fish is hardy, but I wouldn't go too long between water changes. I change half every week, to maintain a constant water chemistry.

Check your local Petco. They'll likely carry Pearls or can get them for you.

B

I plan to eventually have 8-10. Have checked both my petcos and my LFS. No one has them

Old 10-20-2014, 06:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky 1 View Post
If all your parameters are reading ok, should be fine they only get to about an inch, they are beautiful fish.........
I think they're beautiful too
Old 10-20-2014, 06:33 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFAquariums1 View Post
Go ahead and add all of them at once! If your still a little nervous you could do a drip acclimation instead of just floating the bags

Great idea!!!

Tags
fish, plant, planted, planted tank, question, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com