Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-27-2003, 01:09 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to ConanTheLibraia Send a message via Yahoo to ConanTheLibraia
Question about algae problems

Just a question. I see these anti-algae chemicals and I assume they are mostly for ponds. My tank is set up near a window, but it is the only place there in my room it would fit. I have more algae problems than a tank set up in a corner or basement or a better area. Are there chemicals I could use or is the answer simply elbow grease? I do have the same type of plants/fish that could inhabit a pond.

Old 04-27-2003, 08:14 PM   #2

chemicals are the last resort, please!

I have a tank near a window, very little problem.

How much sun does it get every day? and i mean direct sun, please.

with more details about the tank, how much sun, what you want to keep, and any other assorted details, I can help you out, seriously

PS, I been drinkin
Old 04-27-2003, 08:29 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to ConanTheLibraia Send a message via Yahoo to ConanTheLibraia
10 gallon, right next to a northern window, so not much direct sun. Alough on the other side of the room there is a western window. I just have goldfish, small black moore, two small fantails, small-medium size comet, tiny pleco, and a "mystery" snail. I also have a live plant, but algae keeps collecting on the fake ones, and a lava rock I have in the middle. A lava rock is rough and has many abrasions and such and I have not even attempted to clean it yet. The fake plants also collect algae, although one is directly under where the filter spews out the water.
Old 04-27-2003, 08:34 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

P.S.
The plant is an amazon sword
Old 04-27-2003, 09:55 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
I would suggest some serious gravel vacuuming to get as much junk out of the substrate as possible, do a water change, scrub the plants and then totally darken the tank for a few days, and feed minimally. That should help you get the algae under control where the pleco and snail can help. A wonderful small algae eater is an otocinclus cat..Oto's are pretty great little fish for algae cleanup.
Old 04-28-2003, 03:56 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I changed a bunch of water, and I'm keeping the window shades shut. I guess since the aqarium is planted Ill keep the light on for less time per day? I dunno thanks for the advice
Old 04-28-2003, 05:49 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

also, do you have any cleaning suggestions for the fake plants and lava rock?
Old 04-29-2003, 02:46 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via Yahoo to angelstiger
I have found that if your getting lots of algae build up it is because of underfiltration. What are you using for a filter? I am a big advocate of, "You can't have too much filtration." Goldfish are dirty. Don't use the chemicals if you have live plants. Regardless of what the bottle says. For that matter, I have found that the chemicals don't work. Regular water changes, keep the substrate clean, and elbow grease, yep, It is work but you gotta do it. An old toothbrush and warm water is all I use to clean plastic plants and rocks and other decorations. Make sure you clean them as soon as you take them out, If it dries on, it's much harder to remove. If the buildup is calcified I use some salt as an abrasive. Rinse them after. A "little" salt is good for your FW anyway.

55 gal. livebearers, 55 gal. oscar, 29 gal. tetras, 29 gal. angels, 29 gal. female bettas, 20 gal. barbs, 20 gal. guppies, 10 gal. fry, 10 gal. grow out, 10 gal. quaretine, 10 gal. feeder, (16) 1 gal. male betta
Yeah i'm getting too many aquariums. Maybe I'll stop setting them up after I get a 125 or 180 or 300 gallon...... Sure I will. hahahaha
angelstiger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com