Question about Ammo-Lock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xsamrlx17

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have used it twice now and now concerned after reading that it can mess up the filtration. If this is true have I used it little enough for it to not effect the filter? I have so many chemicals because so many instructions have suggested them but now I seem to read that they are bad and I should just stick to frequent water changes when something is wrong. So stressful trying to do things right when there are so many contradicting suggestions!

I have used it twice now and now concerned after reading that it can mess up the filtration. If this is true have I used it little enough for it to not effect the filter? I have so many chemicals because so many instructions have suggested them but now I seem to read that they are bad and I should just stick to frequent water changes when something is wrong. So stressful trying to do things right when there are so many contradicting suggestions!

IMO... The only chemicals you should add to an aquarium are
1. Water
2. Quality conditioner / dechlorinator like Seachem Prime

Sometimes
3. Fert for plants
4. Proper meds / aquarium salt to treat illness.

All that other stuff to lock ammo, balance pH .. Blah...blah...blah is just spending $$$$$.

Ammo lock dechlorinates and detoxifies ammonia similar to Prime.

It's just a different (and less concentrated) brand. I like Prime better, but it doesn't mean that API's product is junk.

Ammo-lock contains sodium thiosulfate pentahydrate, it works by detoxifying ammonia and removing chlorine and chloramines. It locks up ammonia in a non-toxic form (ammonium) until it can be broken down by the tank's natural biological filter and/or used by plants.

The only negative that I've read about Ammo-lock is that the older Ammo-lock conditioners did neutralize ammonia, but they did not leave it readily bio available for plants, and the nitrifying bacteria in filters. It is not recommended for new aquariums but I think it was just the earlier conditioners so you shouldn't have a problem.

Back
Top Bottom