Question about betta behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

octanejunkie

Aquarium Advice Freak
Our betta used to flare at us when getting close to his bowl, thankfully he no longer does this.

We have fed him Hikari betta pellets off our fingertips or just drop them in the water and he swims over to get them.

This morning he seemed pretty active and while I was feeding him he jumped out of the water to get to my finger... not sure what to make of that.

Since he is no longer flaring, I figured he had adjusted to being in our presence, but what do I make of the jumping?

We keep the water level about an inch below the rim, btw

Here is a recent pic of his setup
20130903_110648.jpg

It looks like a "rocks" glass, but it's actually a candle jar about 7.5" tall x 7" wide

They can & will jump. He was probably more excited over the food than he usually is & jumped. I suggest covering the "tank" with something so he doesn't eventually jump out when you're not around. My males don't jump as much as my females.

They can & will jump. He was probably more excited over the food than he usually is & jumped. I suggest covering the "tank" with something so he doesn't eventually jump out when you're not around. My males don't jump as much as my females.

Thanks for your reply, shellieca :)

Well, he seems to be excited for food all the time!

I have to watch my daughter to make sure she does not over feed him cause he will eat whatever goes into his bowl including little files, tropical flakes, hikari micro flakes.

Our plan is to move him into our 6G Cyl Tank after the neon tetras go to their larger 23G community tank, but that will take a few months... The betta will eventually be in the 6G with a pair of Otos and a CPO

My females have jumped out of my tank while I was feeding them. No biggy

Bettas are very good jumpers. I just had one pass away because he managed to jump out though the crack between the lid and the filter.
It's highly suggested to get something to cover up the top of tank. Even if its just a clear piece of plastic or something you can take off to feed him.

one of my bettas will jump for his bloodworms its so great! i have never seen any of my other bettas jump, but i still keep a top on all my tanks, or keep the water line 2 inches from the surface just in case.

I'm normally heavily against fish bowls but that's an amazing set up, very good job in doing that!

Bettas are very good jumpers.

My daughter just witnessed the same as she went to feed him after school, the entire fish was out of the water, airborne, for a moment... impressive.

I'll try to catch it on video soon :cool:

Back
Top Bottom