Question about deco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gmeredith56880

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I see all these post of these beautiful tanks with rocks and driftwood and the such in them. My question is where do you find these rocks/driftwood? Random stuff in the woods? Or is it stuff people buy?

I buy all my drift wood from the LFS since I can't tell the difference between hardwood and soft, I grabbed rocks out of the landscaping at my apartment complex haha

I also buy my wood, which is ridiculously over priced, but never nice looking. I get my rocks from my creek in my back yard.

Finding Roocks & Driftwood

So I see all these post of these beautiful tanks with rocks and driftwood and the such in them. My question is where do you find these rocks/driftwood? Random stuff in the woods? Or is it stuff people buy?

Hello gm...

I don't buy rocks and driftwood in the store. It's too expensive, doesn't look good and the wood usually leaks tannic acid into my tank water turning it that amber color I don't care for.

Anyway, look around the river and lake beds in your area, if there isn't a law against it. These pieces give the tank the natural took. Just rinse eveything off with the garden hose. I use a pressure nozzle to clean everything and then use the rocks to weigh down the driftwood. This time of year, there won't be any bugs and such on the wood.

Go out and explore and get a little exercise and don't forget to take something along to carry everything.

B

You can't really beat finding great driftwood pieces and rocks outside, although you just want to make sure they are aquarium-safe. There are lots of good places to buy special types of wood online too, which is nice for when you're looking for a very specific shape or look (such as thin, spindly manzanita or thick root-like mopani or Malaysian driftwood). It can get expensive but you can often find reasonable deals on ebay or craft sites (just make sure the wood has not been treated in any way). (y)

Back
Top Bottom