question about dosing and fish reactions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kaz

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm dosing excel, micro nutrients and potassium, on friday I did my bi-weekly dose and after I notice one of my guppies all fat from the billy looked like the fish was going to explode. can this be from taken in some of this or what I thought is a male is actually a female pregnant?

Do you add liquid ferts or dry ferts? I have added a lot of dry ferts to my tank and have not seen any problems. Fish will often "taste" the ferts and then spit them out.

Guppies are fairly easy to tell the males from the female - so I doubt that your fish is pregnant.

I would bet that your guppy is male and not sick from ferts, but sick from something else.

I have liquid fertz, the scales are not sticking out. this happen within a day or two at the most. from noticing it. if it is dropsy how can I tell, what should I do, and may this be overfeeding?

If the scales aren't sticking out - they say it's like a pineapple if you can imagine that (I've seen other fish with it, and confirm it looks a bit like that!) - then it may not be dropsy. It's pretty noticeable when it is, but the downside is that it's difficult to diagnose until the pineappling happens at which point it's too late to do anything about it. If it is dropsy then there's a theory it's to do with poor water conditions/unclean tanks, but I've seen it develop in perfectly clean water before in fish like mollies so it could be to do with poor quality breeding and/or a problem existing in the LFS/farm before you get them home.

When you feed have you kept an eye on what he/she does? Is you guppy 'hogging' all the food? Could be that if so. If not, I'm really not sure: I have no experience with fert dosing, so I wouldn't know if that's a possibility. Maybe the folks in the planted tank area might have an idea if there's a risk?

Hope you can get it sorted.

I feed flakes today and he or she eat them very well. i dont see a great noticable scales sticking out, and the guppies i have were born in my tank, every-weekend I change up to 30% of water and all other fish are good.

today I found him laying on his side dead, with the stomach area cut open.

I'm sorry you lost him. :( It sounds like he was bloated, maybe from constipation. If the scales were not sticking out then I doubt it was dropsy. If it happens to any of the others, try feeding them a deshelled pea. That will help move things along if they are constipated.

Back
Top Bottom