Question about fish cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Your readings will be off at first. Patient my friend, that's the process of building your BB in the filter, if you have seeding and you do give it a few days , and keep the ammonia levels up. You will see a spike in nitrates, and when you notice drops in the ammonia, keep up to 4 ppm because the nitrites will becoming up eventually , your almost there . when the nitrates and nitrites spike up fully your almost there, change the water and check the pH level once it shows a drop , change the water and test regularly because each time you change the water it buffers it and eventually your tank will cycle , and its fish time!!![emoji1]

Clem.

Thank you again you have been a big help. I will keep you updated on the cycle . And when it's fish time you might be able to help me with the stock to haha ?

Thank you again you have been a big help. I will keep you updated on the cycle . And when it's fish time you might be able to help me with the stock to haha ?
Just returning the favor, the people on here helped me, and just ask away and someone will gladly help you. I've just got back now into the hobby and had to relearn and renew my skills, but knowledge is the key and reading helps you learn at your pace .Happy fish= Happy fish keepers [emoji39] .

Good luck.
Clem.

Just out of interest here was the filter a canister or another type (might have missed it). If it was a canister I'm curious if there was any smell when started up. A week off for a canister I've found to be a long time and not ideal.

If the filter was in water but there was a water surface exposed to air (for gas exchange) I'd think a better chance for the bacteria to survive.

Just out of interest here was the filter a canister or another type (might have missed it). If it was a canister I'm curious if there was any smell when started up. A week off for a canister I've found to be a long time and not ideal.

If the filter was in water but there was a water surface exposed to air (for gas exchange) I'd think a better chance for the bacteria to survive.
I read the filter was started 1 week, it was wet and believe it was not opened? But the person tested the water and it showed some results , so the bacteria could still be alive, bonus for seeding . it should work it faster with some BB in from the beginning.

Clem.

Back
Top Bottom