question about gouramis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

slroo

Aquarium Advice Regular
I would like to add 2 dwarf gouramis to my tank. The problem is, my lfs only carries males. If I get one powder blue, and 1 sunset fire, will they be fooled into thinking they are two different species and not get all testosteronial (I'm sure that's not a word, but you know what I mean) and try to kill each other?

They are all the same species. They dont care what color they are. If they dont have enough space they will nip at each other.

Any recommendations on what would be considered enough space? I have a 55g tank.

As long as you're only getting 2 (and you have no other labyrinth fish) you should be fine getting 2 dwarf gouramis. I have a pair in my 46 gallon bow tank and they get along pretty well. They have their terrorities and from time to time they do get grouchy and will chase each other, but it's never anything major. I tried adding more gouramis and it was a disaster, so I would definitely only recommend 2.,

55g should be enough for 2 dwarf gourami. even though in general they are nippy fish, they still have individual personalities that may vary from 'the norm'.
dont' house them with paradise fish or bettas though.

Back
Top Bottom