Question about Mystery Snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jehenry89

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got 4 mystery snails about a month or so ago. As their shells have started to grow out, it looks very thin compared to how they were when I first put them in the tank and I really don't know what is going on. These are my first snails, so still new to them. I have a piece of cuttlebone buried in my substrate. I have been feeding them butternut squash as of recently, I use to feed them cucumbers and summer squash but changed because of the higher calcium content in the butternut. I also tryed to feed them kale since it is one of the highest calcium veggies, but they wouldn't touch it. I haven't tryed spinach because of the fact that they wouldn't touch the kale. My blue mystery snails look worse than my gold ones.

All in all, I really don't know what else to do to ensure their shells stay healthy. They are all very active and seem "healthy" Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do to increase their shells health?

Ph: 6.6
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 20
Hardness: 6
Phosphate: 2
Copper: 0
I also fertilize using Flourish Comprehensive as well as all the macro nutrients.

I just read a thread about someone feeding there snail tums? Never heard of it but maybe you can look some stuff about about it.

Need I know your gh and kh to really know. A low kh can lead to pitting in the shells. Also your ph is low and that can thin their shells.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your kh should be around 80, not 8. If it is in fact 8, most likely your problem is a result of low ph and low kh. There are several ways to raise this (I use a little bit of limestone in my aquarium), but some people use coral or shells.

I honestly don't know how to read this test lol. It took my 8 drops to get it bright yellow. It says that means I have a GH/KH ppm of 143.2. I know that my area has VERY hard water by talking to the people at the fish store.

According to the Kh test kit I have, I am at 8 drops till its yellow, which according to the chart equals about 146ppm. I don't have a Gh test kit, I will have to go out tomorrow and get one and test that as well. What is a good Kh and Gh for mystery snails? I keep reading different opinions and I want to know what you guys think is best.

Back
Top Bottom