Question about new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djtuzik

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Someone I know is selling Black 55 gallon octogonal aquarium with stand, heater, filter, gravel , sunken ship made as decor for a bottom, another decor, alot of plastic weed decor, etc..
Is 150 a good deal for something like this? I called a store and they told me they don't make hex or oct tanks in 55 gallon size, is that true?
thx

Your 55 G Tank

Someone I know is selling Black 55 gallon octogonal aquarium with stand, heater, filter, gravel , sunken ship made as decor for a bottom, another decor, alot of plastic weed decor, etc..
Is 150 a good deal for something like this? I called a store and they told me they don't make hex or oct tanks in 55 gallon size, is that true?
thx

Hello dj...

I would pass on the tank unless you plan to keep just a few small to medium sized fish. The reason being, tall tanks don't have much surface area and don't support good oxygen levels for a lot of fish. However, if you keep a few and the tank and all the bells and whistles are in good working order, then all cleaned up, it could certainly be a nice addition to your front room. $150.00 is reasonable, I think. I would see it first and ask if the owner would take a bit less. There will be work needed to get it up to speed.

B

Hello dj...

I would pass on the tank unless you plan to keep just a few small to medium sized fish. The reason being, tall tanks don't have much surface area and don't support good oxygen levels for a lot of fish. However, if you keep a few and the tank and all the bells and whistles are in good working order, then all cleaned up, it could certainly be a nice addition to your front room. $150.00 is reasonable, I think. I would see it first and ask if the owner would take a bit less. There will be work needed to get it up to speed.

B

thank you, I went to a fish store and they told me the same thing, I'm passing

They did at one time make them but obviously there is a reason they don't anymore, I only know of one person that uses them but the 2 he has house large breeding pairs of angelfish.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I will go with a 10 gallon salt water setup with live rock, skimmer, filter and a clown fish.
it's 135 Could be a good learning experience to start with

I will go with a 10 gallon salt water setup with live rock, skimmer, filter and a clown fish.
it's 135 Could be a good learning experience to start with

If you're going salt water then go as large as you can. A smaller tank is more difficult to manage and keep safe than a larger tank by a large margin.

If you're going salt water then go as large as you can. A smaller tank is more difficult to manage and keep safe than a larger tank by a large margin.

thank you, I'm aware. Since it's life rock,sand and already established setup with water, I feel a bit more comfortable then just starting fresh. I will get a hydrometer and testing equipment.
What other tests should I perform besides salt and ammonia?

thx

thank you, I'm aware. Since it's life rock,sand and already established setup with water, I feel a bit more comfortable then just starting fresh. I will get a hydrometer and testing equipment.
What other tests should I perform besides salt and ammonia?

thx

Get a refractometer.. hydrometers are junk and don't give an accurate reading.

Tests - ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph, kh, and phosphate.

I got the tank!
did the tests, all test came back good except nitrate came back at 20ppm.
Is that bad? No Ammonia or nitrites. Ph 8.2
The last owner told me to do 50% water changes? should I do one?

Back
Top Bottom