Question about piranhas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Copachick

Aquarium Advice Freak
Whats the minimum size tank two piranhas could live comfortably in?

From everything Ive read, it depends on the subspecies of piranha and how many you plan to have. There is one constant, though... They need at least a 50 gallon tank. Id probably say 75 gallons, though, to allow enough room to turn and hide. They are really shy when it comes to the presence of humans.

Yeah thats what I was thinking. we may have empty 36 gallon soon and my boyfriend was thinking about 2 piranhas. But I assumed 36 would be too small so I just wanted to ask and make sure

Yeah, definitely. The smallest subspecies still needs at least 20 gallons per fish. I always go for more space with the larger fish species so you dont have to worry about aggression issues as much and you can give the fish plenty of hiding spaces.

Yup I totally agree. Even when I had a 10 gallon at one point, i hated putting ANY fish in there even if they were neons. I feel any fish needs as much space as I can give them to be happy and comfortable:)

Thanks for your help

Back
Top Bottom