question about rocks (pics of tank)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rokinrandy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi everyone,i made an attempt to make a tank with out fake plastic focal points and i thought it might be a good idea just to try pretty rocks like rose quartz and purple amethyst things like that..as you can see i used a cheap bag of gravel from home depot..
my questions are :
1.does anything look unsafe like the type of gravel that i am using it is some stuff from the hardware store that was covered with lime before i washed it.
2.what suggestions or feedback you leave are welcome for i am not 100% happy with the appearance yet..
i just seen this here http://www.ratemyfishtank.com/enlarge.php/imID378
now i wish i had done mine like this but with more green and bubbles... in the future when i am better at this i want some discuss,thank you and this is as big as they will let me post it. pretty small pic :roll: .

Attachments

• another_pic_of_new_tank_138.jpg
    another_pic_of_new_tank_138.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 37
  • my_new_tank_forum_1_117.jpg
    my_new_tank_forum_1_117.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 45
That is very pretty. I am not sure about the lime. I don't know how harmful that is. Even if you rinsed it there is probably sitll a little in there. The only other "problem" I see is the size of the gravel. Really big gravel like that lets a lot of detritus fall through to the bottom making it hard to clean. You will need to be very careful not to overfeed your fish and gravel vac really well when you do a water change. I really love the look though. You did a nice job.

I would also be worried about the gravel, I'm not sure but I have seen a few re gravel from home depot. I would wait and see or maybe post about again the gravel... I Love rocks as focal decorations just look in my gallery

Bleeeeh!

I also have the big gravel dilema =(

I want to change it, but I don't know if I want to deal with the headache that changing it will cause.

hi and thanks everyone, thanks for the comments and the help..
my concern after reading your replies are my 23 fish..

i bet i would lose alot of these if my tanks had to cycle again. i do have a cycled 10 gallan with a young bubbled belly guppy community
(7 surviving fry 2 months old) and an algae eater.

(the 23 fish in 55 gal tank with rock question)
7 female fancy guppys
3 male fancy guppys
2 female black mollies
1 male black mollie
2 plattys
5 lemon tetras,
the bottom dwellers:
includes 1 algae eater,(OZZY THE SCUMSUCKER)
2 corrys

Back
Top Bottom