Question about Shells

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Puriti

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay this is probably a common question but if you put a snail shell (like something a hermit crab would live in) into your tank would it affect it that much? If I remember correctly I think it's said to put calcium...things... in ^^;

I think I heard it will raise your DOC and ultimatly your hardness. Of course hardness effects all kinds of other things.

It all depends on how big of a shell you put into the aquarium and how large the aquarium is. I am not sure about the complete make up of shells but it is mainly calcium carbonate, which is not organic so it won't effect your DOC levels. It may alter your pH slightly though doubtful. There are organic compounds in the shell but I doubt that it changes your level enough to say so.

isn't there a test you can do to rocks and shells with vinegar? you put some vinegar on them if they fizz don't use them or something like that

Yes, but it's not for shells. It's for rocks. If it fizzes, it will alter your ph. All shells will alter your ph, but you have to have enough in the tank to make the change. A small snail shell wouldn't be enough, unless it's a small tank.

Back
Top Bottom