Question about snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfairy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was just wondering if there are any snails that won't get out of control and overpopulate a tank. I had originally planned on adding 2 or 3 snails to keep things clean but after the nightmares I've read on this forum, I'm not so sure. So are there any I could get that wouldn't get out of control or should I just find something else to do their job? Any suggestions?

Not to worry (I'm one of those who has it both ways...a tank with snails that I don't want, which is the same tank I have my baby in...a golden apple snail) and a tank that I want snails in...go figure).

The Golden Apple snail (p. bridgessi) is a very nice snail to have. Doesn't breed all that quickly (they need an opposite sex partner as well) and does a fine job cleaning up left over food.

Take a look at this site for a look see (or, take a look at my clicky.

Jchillin said:
Not to worry (I'm one of those who has it both ways...a tank with snails that I don't want, which is the same tank I have my baby in...a golden apple snail) and a tank that I want snails in...go figure).

The Golden Apple snail (p. bridgessi) is a very nice snail to have. Doesn't breed all that quickly (they need an opposite sex partner as well) and does a fine job cleaning up left over food.

Take a look at this site for a look see (or, take a look at my clicky.

Thank you! Those are very pretty too so that's also a plus. :)

JC.. do you have your apple snail in a planted tank? Ive heard they eat plants like crazy.

I like my MTS. They do breed but as long as you don't overfeed they wont get out of hand. They are also excellent for keeping your substrate turned and cleaned... mine area always burrowing in the gravel.

AshleyNicole said:
JC.. do you have your apple snail in a planted tank? Ive heard they eat plants like crazy.

No, he's in the 30 gal unplanted. Contrary to popular opinion, the snail I have (Golden Apple) is the one variety of apple that will not eat plants unless there is nothing else. Of course, since these guys get really huge, if they were to decide to take a stroll in or around some plants, they could do some major damage (bent, torn or ripped leaves).

I have a black mystery snail that I love. He's about the size of a golf ball now and has never laid eggs. As far as I know, they need a partner as well. I agree with Ashley on the MTS too as long as you keep a clean tank, they won't overpopulate.

MTS can still overpopulate a tank without you knowing about it. I have lots of mts in a ten gallon but since they burrow you can only see about ten at any given time (but then there are those twenty or so under the gravel). But it doesn't really matter if they overpopulate the tank, they don't damage anything, have cool shells, aerate gravel in planted tanks or aerate sand, eat anything that falls in the cracks of the gravel that cories, etc can't get to.

Japanese trapdoor snails are great if you want small snails that won't overpopulate the tank since they are livebearers (and doesn't matter if you overfeed, their population will stabilize at a point no matter what in good tank conditions).

yeah, when i do a gravel vac i get alot of baby MTS but i don't worry about it, i never see them and they are good for the substrate

Jchillin said:
AshleyNicole said:

No, he's in the 30 gal unplanted. Contrary to popular opinion, the snail I have (Golden Apple) is the one variety of apple that will not eat plants unless there is nothing else. Of course, since these guys get really huge, if they were to decide to take a stroll in or around some plants, they could do some major damage (bent, torn or ripped leaves).

My apple snail is in a planted tank and doesn't munch any leaves. (there is plenty of algea, so I guess that is prefered) Interesting enough, he does crawl out onto the leaves and much hair algea up. The leaves don't even bend!! He was out on some watersprite which has no strength and it didn't bend. The snail must be neutrally buoyant, or able to regulate his buoyancy.

Back
Top Bottom