Question about the python...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LoverofCichlids

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
You're supposed to be able to hook this thing up to your faucet and vacuum your entire tank, ( I got that part down). But then it says you can flip the little switch and put water directly back into your tank. This is where my problem lies. Isn't that extremely bad for your fish? Temperature for one, and the untreated water that is going into your tank. Someone who uses a python please help me out with this. :?

Lori

Add the dechlor before the water goes in, or as it is going in, and your fine. You can get a feel for the temperatures too, before you let it go into the tank.

Ditto

I just put the dechlor in the tank before i refill... and you can test the water with a thermometer until it gets just right, or you can feel it with your hand and see if it feels right.

EDIT: Also, when using a python to refill, make sure you dose dechlor for the entire tank, not just the amount you are putting back in.
For example if it says 5ml/10 gallons and its a 30 gallon tank, dose 15 ml, even if you only removed 10 gallons.

HTH

AshleyNicole said:
Also, when using a python to refill, make sure you dose dechlor for the entire tank, not just the amount you are putting back in.
For example if it says 5ml/10 gallons and its a 30 gallon tank, dose 15 ml, even if you only removed 10 gallons.

INCORRECT. What do you think you're doing? That was the worst advice I have seen here yet. Perhaps a chemistry class is in order?

Technics, it would be helpful if you could explain why you think AshleyNicole is wrong.

Personally, I simple follow the manufacturer's directions and use the amount of dechlor recommended for the amount of water I'm adding. From what I've heard, overdosing with dechlor by a factor of 2 doesn't seem to harm the fish, but I would imagine that it's twice as expensive.

Regarding the temperature, I adjust the hot/cold water taps until the water "feels" right; then, I switch the python. While the new water is entering the tank, I add the dechlor. I check the temp of the new water occasionally, and run back to the tub to adjust it as needed. If you replace less than 50%, it really shouldn't make too much of a difference if the temp is off by a few degrees F - it will mix in with the old water.

When i first started coming to AA thats what everyone told me to do when using a python to refill ... to dose the entire tank with dechlor... now i admit that I don't always do that, but thats just what I was advised by people HERE.

There are several dechlorinator brands that recommend this right on the bottle - if you are putting the dechlor in the tank dose for the entire tank, if you are putting the dechlor in the container of new water before it goes in the tank, dose for that container. This is where that recommendation comes from, though I do not practice it, mainly because I don't like to waste dechlor. :wink:

The bottom line is that the Python is very safe to be used in this way, for draining as well as filling your tank, and I can't imagine life without it. You learn to feel the water coming out of the tap and guess accurately the temperature, and once you have it right you turn the valve and fill away.

Explain myself? Let us use the Kool-Aid analogy:

Let us say one scoop of Kool-Aid mix makes two quarts. Now you have two quarts of Kool-Aid.

You drink one quart of Kool-Aid.

You want to top off the pitcher with one quart of water. Are you going to add one scoop of Kool-Aid mix? Are you going to add 1/2 a scoop? Are you going to mix the scoop with the one quart of water in a separate container and then add it to the pitcher, or are you going to put the water in the pitcher and then add the scoop?

Of course, this is an oversimplfied analogy comparing dechlorinator to Kool-Aid mix, but when you add dechlor to the water you are accomplishing the same thing.

You are treating for the amount of chlorine in the water you add, nothing else. You don't have more chlorine in the water just because it dispersed through the tank. The dechlor will disperse, too.

This all being said, if the dechlor bottle does recommend treating for the entire tank, then you should probably do as it says as it is likely a low-dose dechlorinator. If the bottle does not instruct this, do not do it as it is probably a high-dose. Tetra's AquaSafe, for example, is a high-dose dechlor.

Technics said:
AshleyNicole said:
Also, when using a python to refill, make sure you dose dechlor for the entire tank, not just the amount you are putting back in.

INCORRECT. What do you think you're doing? That was the worst advice I have seen here yet. Perhaps a chemistry class is in order?

There's a nice way to correct somebody, and a not so nice way. I prefer to see everybody at AA use the nice way so I think the attitude there was way out of line personally...

well if you also use the kool-aid method thingy. it is a powder. i think liquids mis more evenly than powders. im not totally sure, but usually when i try to make koolaid most of it ends up on the bottom. :oops:

TankGirl said:
There are several dechlorinator brands that recommend this right on the bottle - if you are putting the dechlor in the tank dose for the entire tank, if you are putting the dechlor in the container of new water before it goes in the tank, dose for that container. This is where that recommendation comes from, though I do not practice it, mainly because I don't like to waste dechlor. :wink:

The bottom line is that the Python is very safe to be used in this way, for draining as well as filling your tank, and I can't imagine life without it. You learn to feel the water coming out of the tap and guess accurately the temperature, and once you have it right you turn the valve and fill away.

Thank you TG for supporting where it came from

krap101 said:
well if you also use the kool-aid method thingy. it is a powder. i think liquids mis more evenly than powders. im not totally sure, but usually when i try to make koolaid most of it ends up on the bottom. :oops:

Fine, the Kool-Aid mix is liquid. That's not the point (appreciate the humor, though :) ). The point is chemical.

If 10 gallons of water has 10 units of chlorine, and you pour it into your tank and it mixes with the established 20 gallons, how many units of chlorine does your 30 gallons of water now have? 30? Of course not, it still has 10 units.

Remember, you're treating the chlorine, not the water.

More than likely your tap will come out at 74 - 78 degrees at it's coldest setting.
I use a python to drain and fill; I do 25% pwc and I add back 25% dechlor. Like TG, I don't like to waste it.

I do 3 tanks this way and it's worked fine for me.

Dave

on a side note, since this is a python question area so-to-speak... I bought the generic Lee version, i have noticed that even at full tilt boogie the syphon is not as powerfull as my little manual suction old-school bottom syphon. It doesnt let me pick up much of anything actually from the bottom. It works great at pulling water, but its fairly worthless for actual cleaning value. Anyone else have problems with this? Im taking mine back and getting a python brand python.
Oh... and i dose for the amount that i am putting back as well, Amquel just costs too damn much to dose the entire tank. just my 2cents.

Ok, I used the python today. And as Zagz said, I won't ever use anything else. My back is very grateful that I don't have to carry buckets of water outside anymore either. Thanks for all the great advice. And I treat with dechlor for the amount of water I take out. BUT, on what Titus just said, It doesn't seem to pick up from the bottom as good as my manual siphon did. Maybe it's just something that just takes finesse over time.

The amount of the water pressure matters in how much gravel suction you will get. When I was using the kitchen tap I was not getting good suction, when I switched to the bathroom taps which have more pressure, the gravel vac increased dramatically. Now the python sucks the gravel halfway up the tub when I push the nozzle to the bottom. LOL I have to turn off the flow once in a while to let the gravel back out of the nozzle.

Also, if your tap is higher than the bottom of the tank, the suction won't be as great. That's why I use my bathtub spout.

Back
Top Bottom