question about wood (pics)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DirgeDevil

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've been wanting to put some driftwood in my tank for quite some time now, but I can't seem to find any pieces I like. Today I was in the woods behind my yard, playin around in the creek, and I found a REALLY cool piece of wood that looks similar to what they have at aquarium stores.
I brought it in and scrubbed it clean. It looks ok to use since the creek is natural, and its in the middlle of nowhere in the woods (I figured that there weren't any harmful chemicals in it.) BUT, i'd still like to make sure before I plop it in the tank.

1)Do you think it would be ok to use in my tank?
2) does anybody know what kind of wood this is?
3)should I soak it? If so, in what? (water+bleach?)

Attachments

• wood_001.jpg
    wood_001.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 49
  • wood_002.jpg
    wood_002.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 52
  • wood_003.jpg
    wood_003.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 68
i na't help much but i just have to say that is a great find I live in the city so i can't get any drift wood just out of no where. I hope you cna use it!

does it sink? if not, its probably going to be more trouble than its worth. probably better off either getting pieces premounted to a base or wood that naturally sinks, because it will never lose that bouyancy.

It depends on what you call stink, let me go smell it...
it smells like the creek, and dirt. I didn't find it in the water, but on rocks by the creek. so it was dry when I found it. (if that has anything to do with the outcome)

and I don't have money for any driftwood. my parents won't 'fund' my aquarium.lol

ps- why would a stink be good? i'm just curious.

Oooooooh..
HAHA sorry about that, I read too fast. anyway, it floats, but it's not like the wood's gonna go anywhere. The tank I want to put it in is 10 gallons, and the wood is just the right size to wedge in there. Some guy at an aquarium store told me that if you soak wood for like 3 days then it'l take in water and sink. (and this wasn't any old lfs, it was the most impressive aquarium store i've ever been to.) I'm soaking it right now just to see if it works

I don't have money for any driftwood. my parents won't 'fund' my aquarium.lol
Haha my parents won't either but i have a job, and i don't have anywhere else to spend the money so it goes right into the tank. YOu could always ask your dad if he is any good wiht power tools to help you drill a peice of slat to it to weigh it down. GL

my mom's the power tool person to ask...lol

and I'm not old enough to get a job, except working for my dad.

If it doesn't sink then I'll do that.

DirgeDevil said:
Oooooooh..
Some guy at an aquarium store told me that if you soak wood for like 3 days then it'l take in water and sink. (and this wasn't any old lfs, it was the most impressive aquarium store i've ever been to.) I'm soaking it right now just to see if it works

I've had driftwood mounted to slate in my tank for over a year now, it will still rise to the surface quickly if the slate is not completely covered with gravel.

maybe you need a bigger piece of slate? lol

about the floating, it only floats like halfway, and when I push it back down it takes awhile to rise back to the surface. would that mean anything?

DirgeDevil said:
maybe you need a bigger piece of slate? lol

about the floating, it only floats like halfway, and when I push it back down it takes awhile to rise back to the surface. would that mean anything?

yeah, thats a good sign. most wood is going to go back up in a hurry once you let go, so it could work

Oooooooh..
HAHA sorry about that, I read too fast.

I read "stink" the first time also! I was thinking, "huh" until I reread that line. :lol:

I have driftwood that I bought at the LFS that has been soaking in the tub for 2 weeks now and it still floats. :roll: I have a feeling that it wont become water logged for a loooooonggg time.

Nice piece of wood!

I get all my "driftwood" from local creeks. Only way to go in my opinion. Cheap and I can find unlimited pieces much more interesting than anything I have come across in the stores or on web sites. I usually just bring home some flat rocks from the creek bed and drill and counter sink a couple screws into the base. Works great.

Lepomis said:
I get all my "driftwood" from local creeks. Only way to go in my opinion. Cheap and I can find unlimited pieces much more interesting than anything I have come across in the stores or on web sites. I usually just bring home some flat rocks from the creek bed and drill and counter sink a couple screws into the base. Works great.

that's good to hear! I agree with the shapes. But what do you do to clean it? boil it or just nothing?

Back
Top Bottom