Question for breeders, NOT about breeding!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smcoyle87

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok so i've successfully bred my Kribs (not very hard lol)
they are now big enough to sell/donate
my lfs just said that they will take them from me!
ok so here is the question: I have 15 of them.
What is the best way to transport all 15 of them? In bags? In a big plastic container or something? I'm at a loss because i've never had to transport this amount of fish before! Can anyone help? thanks alot!

steve

Depends on how far the store is IMO. I live 2 minutes away from my lfs and I can transport a few guppies in a 2 quart container they give me some credit... Not much at all but these things are like rabbits or guppies either way I find more all the time.

I ordered some plastic fish bags so I can transport my platy fry to wherever their new home awaits!

Its about 30 minutes away! And the Juvie's are 1 to 1.5 inches
I really dont want to make multiple trips but will i have to haha

Smcoyle87 said:
Its about 30 minutes away! And the Juvie's are 1 to 1.5 inches
I really dont want to make multiple trips but will i have to haha

You may have to make multiple tripe but since you got 15 maybe no. All depends on lfs stock and wants.

Call and ask before going see what they'll take then go from there.. To get a fish home safely you get about 2 cups of water so that's 30 cups of water or so a little less than 2 gallons.... Get a 5 gallon from home depot rinse it well add tank water, fish and have water prepared for your water change your ready to go

I put mine in a gallon size freezer bag and the trip was about 20 minutes. My lfs wouldn't take the kribs until 4-5 months of age when they're easier to sex.

I use a dedicated fish-only bucket to transport fry to the LFS for sale. I bought a 5g bucket at Lowes or HD with a lid on it for a couple bucks. I only use it to transport the fry or other fish uses. The lid will help prevent water from sloshing around on your car's floor mats.

my LFS said they would take all 15! At this size too!
LyndaB- how many did you put in each gallon size bag?
Murano- what if i use one of those 5 gallon size buckets? I know it doesn't have nearly the correct floor surface area, but it's only for transportation. You think they would be alright for the trip?

thanks for the input guys!

PS - I have transported 40+ 1" fry in a 5g bucket at a time. They were only in the bucket for maybe 10 minutes before they were all introduced into the LFS's QT.

Smcoyle87 said:
Murano- what if i use one of those 5 gallon size buckets? I know it doesn't have nearly the correct floor surface area, but it's only for transportation. You think they would be alright for the trip?

Don't worry it's not their home it's only for transport the gallon bags would work too, but if anyone remembers the tv ad where they hold the bag upside down over their head... I wouldn't do it lol. I use the bucket plus the thicker plastic of the bucket is slightly more insulating, I live in nj and on those 20 degree days I trust it more.

Smcoyle87 said:

Also that bucket can last longer than those bags, it won't rip, and overall cost will be less.

This time of year you'd do best putting them in any kind of leakproof bag, ziploc works for a temporary thing like this if you don't have fish bags. Put the bag(s) in a styrofoam cooler to keep the temperature stable.

I often put 15-20 1" fish into my 10x20 fish bags.

Back
Top Bottom