Question for catfish lovers- identifications needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tex777

Aquarium Advice Regular
My brother just sent me a pic of these 2 catfish he just bought, and he dowdy even know what they are! Here is what I could easily identify as a bumblebee catfish but I do not know if it is the south american one or the Asian one.

image-3831223436.jpg

image-2978379744.jpg

Here is the other cat, this one is extremely fast and energetic so it was sorta hard to take pictures until I caught him with the net. I have no clue what he is:

image-1940682307.jpg

image-3524070587.jpg

image-3445661864.jpg

image-1796456694.jpg

Thank you to whoever knows

I kept speaking as if I caught the second one with the net and took the pics but it was actually my brother

Agreed, second is a Synodontis sp.

First is a South American bumblebee catfish.

Thank you guys very much, but how can u tell it is the SA and not the Asian ?

The light bands are wide. With the Asian bumblebee they are very thin, barely there. This is good since the South Americans stay smaller.

Any info on the first one? The bottom one reminds me of a raphael cat but I am not knowledgable in these kind of fish :)

What kind of information?

Depending on what you are looking for fishbase.org is always a good starting point. It is used and maintained by scientists so it is the best way to get accurate info on max size, natural temp and chem, etc.

They can't go with anything that will fit in their mouth (small, torpedo-shaped tetras, similar fish). Max size is about 3".

That wont work for me and my shrimp lol Are there any catfish with the catfish shaped sideways 0 mouth? Sorry for the less than technical description... lol

Back
Top Bottom