Question: I work away but I wnat fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oilpays

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

So im new to this site and to the hobby in general.
My Girlfriend and I are really interested in getting a nice aquarium set up but we both work out of town and are away for about 10 days at a time and then home for 4 .Im just wondering if it is possible to upkeep a healthy enviroment for fish with this schedule, or should we just for get it until one of us decides to come out of the field. I hope there are options out there for us.

Cheers

Fish can easily go 10 days without food, but I don't know about doing that on a regular basis.

You could try to setup a tank that will be more self sufficient. Problem is you don't have the time to set it up.

You could always give those automatic feeders a shot. A lot of people don't like them, but I think it may be your only option.

Welcome to AA!

Ten days is a long time for the fish to go without food. There are automatic feeders that you can use. I'd test while you're home to make sure it's working properly before you start relying on it. Some automatic feeders have been known to either dump all the food at once or not dump any at all.

10 days between water changes isn't a problem if you've got the right filtration and stock.

thanks for the replies...

BigJim, do u have any advice on what kind of stock i should include, and for that matter what kind of set-up i need.

Also, this will definitely show my lack of knowledge, would a saltwater tank be at all possible?

Don't do saltwater :)

Since you're new to aquariums, and won't be around to monitor things, I think a lightly stocked tank would be best. A 10 gallon with a betta and a snail would be a good start.

Saltwater would be extremly hard to maintane if you were to be going and coming then a saltwater tank isnt going to happen sorry, but a freshwater has possibilty.
For setup i would get a 20 gal a bigger tank with more variety for different fish. And a bigger tank is going to be more stable then a smaller one. But before you put any fish in there you will need to cycle the tank ill post a link here. This is basiclly the thing that happens and bacteris will build up and eat your ammonia but to do this you need ammonia. so read the article alright. Then we can tlak about fish.
fishless cycling for dummies

Awesome, thanks for the advice..i fear that i do not have enough continuous time at home to complete a cycle process....i really hope im not SOL on this

You could use the raw shrimp method to fishless cycle the tank - it's as hands off as it gets.

+1 on staying away from saltwater and on getting the biggest tank you can.

The raw shrimp method is supposed to be good. Just put the shrimp in a media bag before you put it in the tank. It's worth the dollar to avoid skimming rotting shrimp out of the tank piece by piece.

If you can swing a 55g or a 75g, look at african cichlids. Some approach marine fish in color, but they're freshwater and pretty hardy.

Yup, you don't even need to worry about testing the water with the shrimp method. As the shrimp breaks down, it releases a continual source of ammonia. Eventually, the tank will be cycled, and the best part is that it will STAY cycled because the shrimp will continue to break down. I would just leave it be for a month, then test the water to see if it's cycled yet.

The trade off for such a hands off method is the smell. The decomposing shrimp can start to smell, so I'd make sure there is plenty of carbon in the filter, and maybe a box of baking soda next to the tank.

As for cichlids, a 46 is not that big. I'm sure someone with more cichlid experience will have more to say on that. You may be better off starting a new thread in the stocking section.

The main problems are going to be water quality and feeding the fish. I think a combination of purigen or chemi-pure elite in the filter (to absorb nitrates, nitrites, ammonia and phosphates) and an automatic feeder are what you need. You may also want a timer from a hardware store to turn the lights on/off on the aquarium if you don't have any window light for the fish to see during the day.

I don't see how maintaining water quality will be difficult, as long as the tank isn't heavily stocked. I mean, it's not like 10 days is a LONG time to go without a waterchange. Using products to absorb the ammonia and nitrite is only going to weaken the bacteria colony. Once the tank cycles, there won't be an excess of ammonia or nitrite anyways.

Getting a timer for the light is an excellent idea.

It is very possible to do a fresh water aquarium with an automatic feeder. One of the most beautiful aquariums i maintained is a fresh water live plant tank with some of the most beautiful Tetras, Rainbows, Angels, small cory cats and several other interesting fish in a 125 gallon aquarium. We took care this clients tank for 6 or 7 year. They would be gone for 3 to 6 mo. of the year. We came every 14 days refilled a Seachem automatic feeder checked all he level do a 25% every 28 day. So it very possible. love to help if you, if you take the leap. Good luck!

Fishman

Back
Top Bottom