Question in new set-up... SAND!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deluxechev

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Alright, I just got a 60 gallon, i picked up about 50 lbs of black sand at my local topical fish store cause i read on some site that it is ideal for my cichlids and the dude at the register said it would be ok. I first freaked out when the water was running black even after 3 to 4 rinsings in cold water (5 lb increments when rinsing). I phoned my store they said so it twice, then the filter will pick up the rest. So, i finsed all the sand 4 times, dumped it in my tank, filled it with water and turned on the pump. it's been running for about 36 hours now, and it's still pretty grey. will the water clear up? i already added my chemical, set my heater, and i'm just waiting for the water to clear so i can put in the rocks and drop in my fish.

:?: did i screw up?

Alright, I just got a 60 gallon, i picked up about 50 lbs of black sand at my local topical fish store cause i read on some site that it is ideal for my cichlids and the dude at the register said it would be ok. I first freaked out when the water was running black even after 3 to 4 rinsings in cold water (5 lb increments when rinsing). I phoned my store they said so it twice, then the filter will pick up the rest. So, i finsed all the sand 4 times, dumped it in my tank, filled it with water and turned on the pump. it's been running for about 36 hours now, and it's still pretty grey. will the water clear up? i already added my chemical, set my heater, and i'm just waiting for the water to clear so i can put in the rocks and drop in my fish.

:?: did i screw up?

so the tank has not cycled? if it has not then it will take more time. run gac and a poly filter and it will take a few dyas to get it down.

Hang in there- it will eventually clear up. I've had this happen several times and it can take anywhere from a couple of days to a couple of weeks to completely clear up.

What type cichlids are you planning on?

water update, it is clearing up! it's been going on 4 days and it's looking much better!

i currently run mostly african cichlids. Once my new tank is ready, I'll drop in my existing fish (1peacock, 1blue electric, 1yellow electric, and 1buttikoferi). I've been hitting all the local fish shops trying to find a duboisi to add. I'm also thinking of adding a red zebra, and a synodontis euterus catfish. I'm even thinking either a green terror or jack dempsey, by im not sure cause of how big they'll get.

any thoughts? :?:

green terror or jack dempsey
DON'T DO IT!!

These fish will not mix well with your current fish. Stick with fish from the same region--Lake Tang, Lake Malawi, South America, Congo....

BTW~
[center:9661698870] :smilecolros: Welcome to AA, deluxechev!! :n00b: [/center:9661698870]

Back
Top Bottom