Question of feeding frozen bloodworms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GallonGal

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just got a 32-cube pack of Hikari frozen bloodworms at the lfs today and I'm wondering how I should thaw it? I've seen others threads how some people just pop them in the tank still frozen?

:thanks: :fish2:

I've heard feeding frozen can cause some bloat issues. I thaw mine in a small container in a mug of hot water. I've also thawed in a bowl of tank water.

Alot depends on the size tank and how many fish are in it. I never put a whole cubes in a tank but many do. I prefer cutting off a piece the size I believe is enough to feed the amount of fish I have (and remember fish don't need alot of food), then I thaw it in a cut of tank water and pour it in slowly.

I thaw mine in a cup of tank water then use a plastic turkey baster to feed fish in two tanks that way i can control how much they get and they eat it before it gets sucked up by the filter

Just another opinion here but I treat bloodworms the same as I would for any meat product I would be consuming. I would never thaw chicken in hot water then expect it to be safe for consumption, even after cooking. I defrost bloodworms/frozen gel food in the same fashion as chicken- its placed in a sealed container overnight in the fridge.

I put a cube or portion of cube I'm using for feeding in a small aquarium net and thaw it under running cold water from the tap. I wouldn't advise using hot water, make sure to use cold when thawing meat. I'm on well water and don't have chlorine to worry about but using city water with chlorine was never a problem when I was on city water.

Since the bloodworms are eaten by your fish it is advised to use water that has been dechlorinated, not tap water. Tank water works.

I then use a fork to feed the worms and discard the water that has defrosted liquids in it.

I have a shot glass that I use for my frozen bloodworms. Scoop up some tank water, plop in half a cube, and just wait less than a minute or so to thaw.

I thaw mine in a cup of tank water then use a plastic turkey baster to feed fish in two tanks that way i can control how much they get and they eat it before it gets sucked up by the filter

. . . I like this idea . . .

CMOS

Depends. U can just toss it in the tank or let it sit in a cup of warm water. Either way it dosnt take long to thaw at all.

Back
Top Bottom