Question on Algee

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Larman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all, I was wondering how long is the typical Algee cycle in a freshwater tank? Any recommendations to help control it or do you just let it cycle through on it's own?

Thanks

Algae doesn't really cycle. If the conditions are right, algae grows. If conditions are great, algae grows out of control. Usually algae develops when the tank gets a lot of light. Knowing what type of algae you have will help in determining control methods. Several species of fish eat algae. What does your algae look like?

Right now I'm having problems with blue green algae which isn't really an algae. I've blacked out the tank for five days and throught I had it under control, but no. So I'm going to try the blackout again after a 50% water change.

Well, I have a Nanocube and it has 4 bright lights....

The aglee looks basic green to me. I did also do a water change recently. I found it weird that algee would come on so fast after that. Will the Algee hurt the fish? I have a couple snails (2) and 1 Plexa. Maybe I should get more snails?

Back
Top Bottom