Question on Angel and Gourami compatablity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've done well with golden Priscilla tetras. They've been in my tank since day 1 and no complications

I have kept Gouramis and angels together for over 4 years. I had 5 gourami and 2 angels some bottom feeders and a few rainbows in a 65 tall and they were fine. I have kept moonlight, opaline, three spot, gold, platinum, honey, dwarf flame, pearl, and snakeskin. They are all quite different. Gouramis can change a lot as they grow and can nip each other, but never to the point where they gt killed. Just get smaller mo timid gourami and angles and hope for the best

Keeping multiple gourami's isn't a good idea. There are people who luck out and don't have any serious issues but more times than not serious aggression issues arise and yes gourami's will kill each other when aggression is at it's worst. As I stated and as stated above Pearls are the best peaceful gourami IMO, but can still have issues or dwarf or honey gouramis can be used, but again even they can have aggression issues.

Oh ya I forgot about that being the same species. What if I had two and introduced them at the same time with heavily planted tank. But remember this is a 55g so it has lots of space

Oh ya I forgot about that being the same species. What if I had two and introduced them at the same time with heavily planted tank. But remember this is a 55g so it has lots of space

They are almost like Bettas. Similar attitudes towards each other. If you luck out and get a pair ? Guess what they still might kill each other down the road or pair up and terrorize your other fish !! Their territories are the top part of the tank. All the space below doesn't count.

Ok then I will probably just get one I I get this tank. Back to angelfish a neon tetras, what about keeping angels and cardinal tetras together since I know they are a little bigger

I have 12 angels and 25 cardinals and no problems. My cardinals are actually only about 1/2 grown also. Rummynose and Lemon tetras are also a good choice for keeping with Angels.

Actually two would be a good number. If they pair fine, if not in that size tank two will most likely be fine also as there would be plenty of room to spread out if needed. If you got three and two paired you have to rehome the odd one out. I've kept two angels many times over the years.

oh I thought you had to keep an odd amount because if they dont pair off they will be aggressive

In a tank your size 2 adults that aren't a pair can easily have different territories if needed once they mature. Also sometimes same sex angels form a pair when no suitable mate is present. If you want several angels then you do want to get 6 or more to keep aggression distributed thoughout the group. My 12 angels aren't very aggressive with each other at all, except for feeding then it's every angel for themselves including paired angels. Also my angels are all paired and when not spawning while they stay close to their mate (usually but not always) they all tend to hang more in a group. Alot just depends on the temperment of the angels involved and stating one particular thing about angels in general just doesn't work. So keeping 2 angels is fine. There is never any kind of guarantee that any amount of angels, including keeping one, will work out in the long run.

ok I see I will probably just end up keeping maybe just one or two. Are there any fish that will not work with them other ones like tiger barbs and other cichlids?

Most barbs except for a few like cherry barbs aren't suitable with angels, especially not tiger barbs even though you'll see pic's of them with angels and some claim they do just fine but IMO it's a disaster waiting to happen with the angels being the losers. Dwarf South American Cichlids are generally fine with angels with Rams (German Blues and Bolivians) being the most commonly kept dwarf cichlids with angels. I've kept a few of Apistogramma's with them also. No large or african cichlids. Many tetras are also nippy so you have to reseach to see which ones work best. Cardinal, Rummynose, Lemon, and Diamonds are commonly kept with angels but also Black Neons, Emperior, Congo, and Glowlights tetras do well with them. Upside down catfish do fine. Danios are a toss up, sometimes the work and sometimes not. Threadfish and Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish do fine as do Spotted Blue-eyes. White Cloud Mountain Minnows is another good one as are Hatchets.

Well not if they're small angels. Most angels will be dime or quarter size from your LFS. From my experience it can take quite a while for angels to reach a large size after half dollar size.

You must not have good water the ! It takes 2 months for an engel to get a body of 4-5 inches at a proper diet and good water quality

Also opaline is a Blue gourami. It's just another common name like three spot gourami.

No cherry barbs? I was sorta thinking about getting some of them but are Boesemani Rainbow fish okay? I kinda like those

I said cherry barbs are suitable and the rainbows would be fine also. Just remember you only have a 55g so you need to pick and choose what you really want.

Back
Top Bottom