Question on Angel and Gourami compatablity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blueramboy87

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello I am new to the forum so help me out if I am doing anything wrong. So in the future (hopefully sometime this year) I would like to have a 55 gallon tank when I have enough money saved up. So I really like Gouramis particuallry opline and blue. But I am also starting to like angelfish. Is it possible to keep them together? I have done some research and some say it would work but others say it wouldnt.
Thanks in advance:thanks:

I have in the past but they didnt do the best together because angels can become quite aggressive. Personally I like angels more and I would love to see angels in that tank but I have a little experience with gourami's as well. If you want any advise for angels you can ask me too.

Thanks for replying! I was also thinking about getting a school of neon tetras. Have you kept angels and neons together before?

Have you ever kept any of the blue, gold, or opaline gouramis because i have heard about them getting aggressive

Oh then that means the others would probably be fine with neons. Also have you kept more than one of them together

I've never kept neons before but I imagine they'd be fine. I've seen tanks with both. There should be enough space for that. I would go with either one angelfish or 3. Right now I have 2 full size angels 2 half dollar size, and 6 quarter size. I know I'm a bit overstocked at the moment but I'm planning on selling all but the full grown ones. I tried to get a pair from 8 angels but after months and months of trying i gave up and got a confirmed pair. So now I'm selling them when the LFS that my fiancée and another gentleman are opening next month.

I've never kept neons before but I imagine they'd be fine. I've seen tanks with both. There should be enough space for that. I would go with either one angelfish or 3. Right now I have 2 full size angels 2 half dollar size, and 6 quarter size. I know I'm a bit overstocked at the moment but I'm planning on selling all but the full grown ones. I tried to get a pair from 8 angels but after months and months of trying i gave up and got a confirmed pair. So now I'm selling them when the LFS that my fiancée and another gentleman are opening next month.

No I'm sorry to say that the neons will most likely get eaten by the angels. Its happened to me I know.

Well not if they're small angels. Most angels will be dime or quarter size from your LFS. From my experience it can take quite a while for angels to reach a large size after half dollar size.

Well not if they're small angels. Most angels will be dime or quarter size from your LFS. From my experience it can take quite a while for angels to reach a large size after half dollar size.

Yeah but they obviously won't be small forever and if fed properly they will grow to a size that will eat neons within a year.

Very true. I think there are better looking alternatives to neons IMO that wont be eaten by angels

I've been keeping angels for 30+ years and can tell you angels do best with Pearl, Dwarf, or Honey Gourami's. And even then there can be problems. Thing is alot depends on the disposition of the angels and the gourami's. Some can be mellow and others not. In a 55g if stocked properly you could do 2 angels and a nice Pearl gourami. But be sure when setting up the tank that there is alot of plants and some very tall ones to break the line of sight up from one end of the tank to the other. Angels mature at 8 months of age so if you get them small, dime to nickle sized bodies, and raise them around small fish they are generally more adapt to leave the small fish alone as the angels mature. On rare ocassion you will get a very aggressive mature large male that can be hard on little fish but this doesn't happen alot. So while I personally wouldn't do neons I do keep both Cardinal and Rummynose with angels very sucessfully. Right now I have 12 breeding angels with 25 Cardinal and 25 Rummynose tetra's in my 220g planted. In a 55 you could do 2 angels, a gourami, 1 or 2 schools of small fish, and cory cats or loaches for the bottom.

Ya I think it would just depend on the gourami and on the angel. I have seen that people start with a small angel and introduced the neon tetras at the same time and they were fine

It's not in the beginning you have to worry it's months down the road as the angels mature that this can become an issue. It's always a gamble. I started out with 14 angels that I raised with small fish but as they got older and mature I had 2 males turn very nasty and they started chasing any fish but especially the smaller fish so I sold them. The remaining 12 are fine, they don't look twice at little fish but shrimp are tasty snacks. It also helps when keeping angels not to overcrowd a tank. When they have enough elbow room there tends to be less aggressiveness in a tank.

I was fairly new to aquariums when I had my gourami and angel together and it just didnt work out but I agree that if they are introduced at a small size they can be successful

That is a very good point rivercats but back to the original question do you think I would have a better chance of successfully keeping angels with say a blue gourami?

I personally think its a bad idea. One thing I learned about both blue and gold gourami's over the years is they are very unpredictible leaning towards the aggressive side especially when they mature. I've had them for a year or two and then suddently they turn into monsters. It's really dicey with them. You could try getting a young blue gourami and a couple young angels but you will have to monitor them as the months go by in the event aggression starts as they mature. Again remember that providing a heavily planted tank with several large/tall plants goes a long way in helping keep aggression down by allowing fish to get out of the visual sight of others.

Back
Top Bottom