Question on Changing Filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LindaC

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 29 gallon planted tank that currently has a Whisper 40 HOB power filter, which I'm not crazy about, so I purchased an Aqua Clear 50 power filter to replace it. I was about to add it to my tank last night but stopped when realizing that I might loose the beneficial bacteria that's already in the filter. Would it be okay to just replace the Whisper with the Aqua Clear? There should be enough beneficial bacteria in my tank, shouldn't there be? My tank has been running now for almost 5 months.

I could take the fiber batting out of the Whisper and add it to the level where the carbon goes in the Aqua Clear, but this was just recently replaced when I cleaned my tank last Saturday so I don't think there's lot of bacteria built up on it yet.

One more question regarding the new Aqua Clear filter. Seeing that I will not be using the carbon in the basket, would it be okay to buy another sponge and have two sponges along with the Biomax?

Thanks, any advice or help is greatly appreciated!

Linda

Keep running the Whisper for a couple of weeks while the Aquaclear gets 'seasoned'. A second sponge in the Aquaclear will be fine.

The Aqua Clear isn't in a tank though, so it wouldn't get seasoned and I don't have room to run them both at the same time. Wish I did!

In that case move the old media into the new filter, and keep an extra sharp eye on your parameters.

You can buy two sponges (seems a lot of people do it that way) or you can buy the fine filter floss and stuff it in there to really polish the water to get the finest particles out.

The great thing about the AquaClear filters is that you can set them up any way you like!

I agree with the suggestions to put all of the filter media from the old filter into the aquaclear, even if you have to cut it into pieces to do it.

Is the aquaclear 50 a HOB type filter? I use the whisper cartridges in my Regent filter because i liek the fact you open the cartridges and add or remove any thing you like lol it does stick up a little to much though lol

tropicfishman said:
Is the aquaclear 50 a HOB type filter? I use the whisper cartridges in my Regent filter because i liek the fact you open the cartridges and add or remove any thing you like lol it does stick up a little to much though lol

Yeah its a hob but its set up more like a canister in that you have a multi-level tray that you can put any media in you want. The best hobs out there IMO.

tropicfishman said:
Yeah its a hob but its set up more like a canister in that you have a multi-level tray that you can put any media in you want. The best hobs out there IMO.

I totally agree, I've had a smaller AquaClear on my 10 gallon tank and I think it does a great job!

Back
Top Bottom