Question on filtration....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lonewolfblue

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was thinking of making a small move. Since my 10G is on the dresser currently, and am looking at getting a stand for it, if I set it up next to my 75G, I was thinking of completely removing the filter for the 10G and using 2 powerheads or water pumps, and run them daily. Here's what the plan is:

Set the 10G next to the 75G.
Run a powerhead in each direction, 2 hours a day, once or twice a day, when I'm home, on a timer.

I think this would not only eliminate any filtration system, as I will always be keeping the 10G in equilibrium with my 75G. That will also eliminate acclimation of new eggs or fry as well. And as for the fungus removal, could add the HP after the flush, as the HP will turn to water over time anyways, so no problems there, can still dose as required.

Now my problem. Most powerheads I'm finding are much too strong for a 10G. And ones I did find have the intake going through the body. I want something I can run with a sponge so the fry don't get caught in it, and would like possibly no more than 50GPH. Any thoughts out there?

One thing to consider about using two ph is trying to find two that have the exact same flow rate out of the box. Generally one will push a couple gallons and hour more or less than the other and can either overfill or underfill the ten gal.

IMHO the best way to move water from one tank to another and back again is with a gravity system, but with planted tanks water turnover like that would kill your co2 levels I would think. This is just something I would think of that could possible give you an aquarium fit. Maybe somebody else out ther has another idea that you could use for a planted tank. HTH

True....
That's why I wouldn't be running it 24/7. Just when I'm home to monitor it. And the 10G wouldn't be filled either, will only be about 80% full. Would let it run for an hour in the morning before I go to work, then 2 hours in the evening when I'm home.

Another thing to add, will also be running an airstone 24/7 for circulation, since there will be no filter running.

powerheads

Many of the online suppliers carry small submersible pumps for small ponds and water features. I think some of them will flow as little as 50 gph, some are even adjustable. I do not remember seeing any sponge filters for the little ones. As for matching flow, you could try using float switches to control water levels. It might be a pain to rig up, though.

I have actually done this before when I bought a new tank. I wanted to speed up the cycle so I connected two tanks together. You need to build two PVC U shapes that will fit between the tanks, End caps on either side are useful. Fill the each U with water and use your hands to seal the ends(Or put the end caps on) , Fit them into position and make sure they reach below the water line before you move your hands. Although the U rises out of the water they will equalise the water levels in the tanks. Then all you need to is hook a pump up to one ubend and off you go. Then just throw some sponge filters on the fry side of things.

However for this to work both tanks must be at the same level.

I even drew you a diagram.

I am in australia and my LFS have these really small pumps designed for c02 reactors - Would work well. You should probably run it 24/7 though to keep bubbles forming at the top of the u bends (I don't know if this is acutally possible but???

Attachments

• cheapmanssump_146.jpg
    cheapmanssump_146.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 103
Probably not possible for me, my plants tend to pearl alot, and would get lots of air caught in there. They pearl so much even the XP3 tends to blow out excess air now and then.

As long as the waterflow is fairly constant it should be a problem - you could put a simple bleed valve on it to be safe.

Back
Top Bottom