Question on glo fish(Not goldfish!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scoobydoo11693

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I wanna purchase a 20 gallon tank for the glofish and wanted to know how many would fit. Would 8 danios and 6 glo fish tetras work? If not, can I get 12 danios? Also, can I add anything to the bottom? Thanks

Note that AQAdvisor has the danios listed as Glo Fish, but not the tetras. They are known as white-skirt tetras and you can find them listed under that name.

Off Topic Posts have been deleted. This is not a discussion on the ethics or nonethics or viability of a particular fish. The OP asked a question about stocking her tanks. Please keep your posts on topic.

Generally, GloFish are known as the zebra danio form. Though, there are multiple species now commonly sold under the name GloFish. So, in order to answer you, I first have to ask if this tank is a 20g tall or a 20g long? I personally do not belive zebra danios really belong in a 20g tall at all. they are just too active, and don't seem to thrive without enough horizontal swimming room. Next question, which species of GloFish? The danio form, the skirt tetra form, or the tiger barb form?
There are mutiple ideas for the bottom of your tank. I agree that cories are a good idea, there are also kuhli loaches, and various species of smaller plecos.

Reposting the advice portion of my previous post since the first half of the post it was on got caught up in the ethics debate :taped:...

As long as the tank is a 20 gallon long, you should be able to fit a school of both GloFish and GloTetras. AqAdvisor is a great place to tweak numbers to see what would work, but as mentioned above you'll need to add the GloTetras as White Skirt Tetras since that's the base fish that the GloTetras were created from. I kept 10 GloFish and 5 GloTetras in my 20 gallon long without issues before upgrading to my current 36 gallon bowfront. If the tank does not have at least 30" in length it's not suitable for GloFish or GloTetras since both species are very active and need the length to get up speed and wear themselves out. Without it, they'll tend to be more nippy and bully their tank mates.

As far as bottom dwellers go, you have a lot of options. Khulis, African Dwarf Frogs, Shrimp, Snails, Cories are all good tank mates for GloFish. If you have proper aeration and filter flow and keep the tank below 75 degrees then you can even look at the smaller varieties of Hillstream Loaches (Borneo Sucker Loaches stay small enough).

If you're going for the actinic look and don't want to have live plants (either in the tank or in an attached sump/refugium) then plan on understocking the tank. In that case you may not be able to add bottom dwellers without the nitrates getting too high between water changes. Again, play around on AqAdvisor to get a starting idea of what you can fit, and then make sure you're testing for nitrates on the tank and stop adding fish before the nitrates start getting out of hand between water changes.

The 1 inch total growth per gallon rule is no totally accurate due to variables such as the poop rate and how often you change the water, for example a danios can break that rule and you can add couple extra fish

Back
Top Bottom