Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-08-2005, 11:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Question on hiding platy....

I bought a pair of platy's a few months back. The female was pregnant at the time I bought her. The male chased her all over the tank, and after a few weeks I moved him to a separate tank, leaving the female as the lone platy in an otherwise peaceful tank. She gave birth (I found 2 of the fry I have since been raising) and now she just sits at the bottom of the tank most of the time in a little cave area. Is this normal behavior from a platy? She's been pretty dormant for at least a good month now. She comes out at feeding time and then goes back to being shy. Should I be concerned?

Old 06-09-2005, 12:53 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to krap101
how long after you took the male out did she start? maybe it has something to do witht hat.

did you change anything else?

Old 06-09-2005, 01:25 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Nothing has changed in the tank. I took the male out probably a good month before she started acting so shy. It was probably a bit after she had her babies that she started just sitting at the bottom under shelter of my caves. She looks healthy, and has been doing this now for weeks I would say.
Old 06-09-2005, 10:28 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to mr86mister
do you think she is an older platy or still young? because my g/f's year old platy's chill out in the caves and dont do much but eat and rest
Old 06-09-2005, 12:55 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

She probably is a bit older. Ok, that's cool I guess, seems like as good a reason as any I guess.
Old 06-09-2005, 02:59 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

My oldest, biggest, female platy likes to stay in the corner all by herself. She's been doing it for months. She is at least 2.5 years old. So it is probably normal..

Tags
hiding, platy

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com