Question on PWC.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wayne487

Aquarium Advice Activist
When doing a PWC I've heard a few people mentioning mixing the warm/hot tap water with cold tap water to help get the right temperature but I've noticed with my hot tap sometimes the water comes out looking cloudy and whiteish, if I leave it it eventually settles but I'm not sure what causes it. I don't want to put it in my tank without being sure if it would be ok to use?

you can't adjust your sink? i just use a thermometer to get it to the exact temp. it looks white because of all the bubbles that the water heater and your sink make

you can't adjust your sink? i just use a thermometer to get it to the exact temp. it looks white because of all the bubbles that the water heater and your sink make

What do you mean adjust my sink?

I thought it was bubbles too but it doesn't look like bubbles it's like a watery milky kind of colour

It doesn't do it all the time just sometimes but just because I can't see the cloudy milky colour doesn't mean that whatever causes it isn't there still, right?

It could also be calcium that is built up in your water heater if you have hard water and your water heater is older. I have the same issue because my towns water is all well water. The one plus of being on well water is that the town does not chlorinate the water.

It could also be calcium that is built up in your water heater if you have hard water and your water heater is older. I have the same issue because my towns water is all well water. The one plus of being on well water is that the town does not chlorinate the water.

And if it is calcium is that bad for the fish? (Might sound like a dumb question but I'm relatively new to fish keeping still and I'm still learning)

does your sink have a hot and cold knob or just one knob? if you have two, try running both of them, until you get the right temp. if you have one just run it until you get it to the right temp. its pretty easy with a thermometer, even more so when you get use to doing the same temperature every time. theres nothing more in the water when its hot, then what comes out of your sink any other time, its just air bubbles.

does your sink have a hot and cold knob or just one knob? if you have two, try running both of them, until you get the right temp. if you have one just run it until you get it to the right temp. its pretty easy with a thermometer, even more so when you get use to doing the same temperature every time. theres nothing more in the water when its hot, then what comes out of your sink any other time, its just air bubbles.

Ohhh I get what you mean now, sorry its late here my heads not quite with it I have 2 separate taps since I have to fill my 19L buckets in the bath tub lol

If you get too much calcium in your water yes it could be a bad thing. Just like too much of anything that goes into your aquarium could be a bad thing.

If you get too much calcium in your water yes it could be a bad thing. Just like too much of anything that goes into your aquarium could be a bad thing.

Is there a way to remove it from the water or to test if it is calcium? My water heater is probably 8-10 years old and the pipes are probably even older than me

If there is calcium buildup in your water heater there isn't much you can do about it other than replace your water heater. You could try to replace the elements since that is an area that the calcium build up is the worse. But there isn't much you can do about the calcium scaling on the inside of the tank.

And to test for calcium you can get an API calcium test kit off of Amazon.

And to test for calcium you can get an API calcium test kit off of Amazon.

Oh right I may have to see if I can find one at my LFS as I don't really have access to a credit card for online purchases thanks for the info. I don't think il be removing any of the heater or elements in there ill just have to stick with filling up with cold water and then running hot water around the buckets to raise their temp

Oh right I may have to see if I can find one at my LFS as I don't really have access to a credit card for online purchases thanks for the info. I don't think il be removing any of the heater or elements in there ill just have to stick with filling up with cold water and then running hot water around the buckets to raise their temp

just buy a separate heater for heating the buckets, thats what i have to do with my saltwater.

just buy a separate heater for heating the buckets, thats what i have to do with my saltwater.

Most likely its just air bubbles. Try this. Pour a some of the white water into a glass and let it sit a couple mins. If it clears right up then its just air bubbles

I would but to heat 3 buckets if need 3 heaters and I can't justify spending that much on something that only gets used once a week for half hour, easier to just put the plug in the bath and fill it up

Only a certain amount of calcium can be dissolved into water at a given time and this isn't a dangerous amount to fish. If it really bothers you just heat some of the water to boiling on the stove and mix it. You will find an amount that brings it to the right temperature eventually.

Either that or get a garbage can and keep water in it with a heater and bubbled to keep it at the right temp.

Back
Top Bottom