Question on taking pictures...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
my tank...

Here's my tank....

HPIM2103.jpg

Looking good! I like your tank, not too busy but well layed-out! The pics are looking nice, but the closeups still seem a bit fuzzy. Are you using macro function?
sudz said:
With most digital camera's, it will focus on the glass of the tank. TO avoid this when taking a full tank shot, turn off the lights in the room that it is, and make the tank the brighest or only source of light. THe camera will not see the glass and focus on the tank.
This is how I take pics of my tanks: never use flash, always at night, shut off all other light (see website for results). I always set the camera on something (no tripod available), to avoid blurry shots.
sudz said:
I would like to try a fixed focus camera (no optical zoom) to see if it comes out clearer, as everything is "in focus" on one of those camera's.
This is also how my camera is set up. It auto focuses everything, which can be very annoying when doing closeups of fish/plants. Again, check out website for resulting photos.

PS I am planning on trying out the "macro" function next time I do closeups, I've seen great results on non-aquarium photos!

I was actually using the macro function on those close-ups. I also have been trying setting my camera on 200 and 400, but the fish movement is still blurry.

your pictures are looking alot better (y)
does your camera have manual exposure.. an EV setting? moving that number up will help.. like +2.0 EV or +1.5 EV.. Im assuming that 400 ISO is the fastest "film speed" setting but the faster exposure setting should clear up the fuzyness nicely.. HTH

I just got a conon sd300 elph and on auto with flash on or off it takes pretty good shots. Its got this "underwater" mode, prob need and underwater case though.

workfortheman said:
The next big thing in aquarium photography: putting your camera INSIDE the aquarium?!?!

I'm almost SURE that it's been done. My dad's pentax is water resistant to 3 feet. I don't want to try it. its basically ok to use in the rain. HOWEVER>.. it does have a macro like no other! i can be .7 of a CM (1/3 an inch) from a subject and have it in PERFECT focus. 2080X1600 resolution or somethign like that.

Insane. I jsut use a HP 635... The closest i can get is about a foot. :-(

And macro becomes exceedingly difficult when you zoom. if you MUST, make sure its optical zoom. Digital only shrinks your image size. Its pretty much worthless.

For me my 2.0 MP camera has a setting with a flower on it, I use this and I get as close to the aquarium glass as I can, this will allow better focus and keep the flash from reflecting. My pictures have greatly improved ever since I figured out the flower setting, it auto focuses. Although it's only good for shots up to 8" away.

Well I guess this is were may years of computer tech experience comes into play since I'm just starting in the world of Marine Aquariums. I would suggest that you check your owners manual for specific settings to that of taking motion pictures. Many of these setting allow the camera to constantly focus and have increased decreased shutter speed which allows more light to come into the camera. Most Sony digital cameras will have this represented by a little gold player to represent the motion. It will definitely clear up shots you take. As for the flash angeled shoots into your aquarium is the best technique to remove the glare as well as choosing an appropriate distance which is not to far or not to close to allow the camera to focus on the glass. The angeled shots usually help you bypass the camera from focusing on the glass. Also if you camera has a nightshot feature and red eye reduction use that and take your photographs in complete darkness and only allow the tank lights to be on. Wow enough said. If anyone has any questions E-mail me the type of camera you are using and the manufacturer and I'm sure to have an answer for you. E-mail Jasonanatal@gmail.com

Back
Top Bottom