Question on tank temp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

builtf0rdtough

Aquarium Advice Activist
So Ive got a heater in my tank that keeps the temp at 80, so I know it doesnt get too cold, but during the summer, or when its hot outside, it gets hot in my house, and the temp rises in my tank. What can I do to stop this or make the temp less likely to fluctuate. My tank is not next to a window, its about 15 feet from the closest window, and the blinds stay shut, so there is no direct sunlight hitting the tank. Do I need to just always have my A/C running? it gets expensive here in FL, lol its only summer and then fall around here, getting to be hot again. Thanks ahead of time yall.:thanks:

You could turn off the heater. The only problem with that is that if the temperature constantly changes your fish will get stressed out.

My uncle had a tank without a heater and worked fine. He kept his house at a steady temp, but that does raise your electric bill.

It is summer here and the temperature of my tanks fluctuates on hot days. I haven't seen any adverse effects on my fish. Even my goldfish tank reaches 30*C (86*F) some days. Larger tanks take longer to heat up and cool down so the fish have time to adjust. The smaller the tank the quicker the temp will change.
What size is your tank?

its a 29g. so its not small, but not big. I know that the tank wont get overheated because of the heater, it doesnt even heat unless the temp is below 80. I guess I could turn it off once summer really hits, but then it could go from 70's night time to 80's day time...isnt that kinda how it would be in the wild? water would heat up during day and cool at night in a lake or pond..seems like these tank fish wouldnt fair well in the wild though..lol with how per-cautious we must be with them as pets.

builtf0rdtough said:
its a 29g. so its not small, but not big. I know that the tank wont get overheated because of the heater, it doesnt even heat unless the temp is below 80. I guess I could turn it off once summer really hits, but then it could go from 70's night time to 80's day time...isnt that kinda how it would be in the wild? water would heat up during day and cool at night in a lake or pond..seems like these tank fish wouldnt fair well in the wild though..lol with how per-cautious we must be with them as pets.

No need to turn it off in summer. It won't keep heating the tank as you know. It will kick in and start heating if the temp drops though. Fish in the wild are in larger bodies of water. The temperature doesn't rise and fall as fast as it does in a tank. If it gets too hot in summer you can place frozen bottle of water in the tank (slowly bringing down the temp, remove lids/hood and aim a fan over the top of the water.

good idea, with the frozen bottle of water. I put ice in there once before, then I got to thinking it was a bad idea since the water will have chlorine in it once it melts.

builtf0rdtough said:
good idea, with the frozen bottle of water. I put ice in there once before, then I got to thinking it was a bad idea since the water will have chlorine in it once it melts.

You can dechlorinate before you freeze it :) the small amount in a few ice cubes wouldn't have done much though.

Back
Top Bottom