Question or the pleco people

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Musket

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey, I just noticed some small holes in my 4" plecos dorsal fin. THey are tiny, like someone took a pin or needle and just poked him a few times. He seems fine otherwise. Is this something that happens when he grows or something strange like that? Will the holes heal themselves? The only thing different in the tank is that I have been treating with Maracyn 2 for the last 3 days for my betta who appears to have droospy.
I had seeded a filter in this tank for about 9 days, but it has not been running on the tank for almost 2 weeks now. Could the difference in filtration be causing my current problems? (droospy fish and holes in fin)? One gourami seems a little shyier than normal, but I do not notice anything wrong with color of fins of anyone else. I did a partial water change yesterday even though ammonia was 0 and nitates were 5. Ph 7. THose are the only kits I have right now. Any suggestions?

Is it a common pleco? or another variety?? I don't think that is genetically inherant in any of the species though.

no its not something they normally go through while they grow or anything like that, you might actually havea case of fin rott starting up or he' s been bullied by another fish, another possibliltie is he's been snagged or cut on something sharp or prickly in the tank

most meds are not to be used with plecos, i dont know about what your using just My experience

My common pleco has had one pinprick hole in his dorsal fin for more than a year. It probably got damaged and then rather than healing over the hole, it just healed around it.

Apocalypse_Gold said:
My common pleco has had one pinprick hole in his dorsal fin for more than a year. It probably got damaged and then rather than healing over the hole, it just healed around it.
Mine has the same thing. I've never seen the fin damaged or anything, it's just the tiny tiny hole so I figured he was somewhat unique.

I checked him out again last night, and all the holes are closer to his body. It is almost a pattern, like he is supposed to have it, to help his fin bend.. I don't know. But others have it and all your fish are okay?
He is a chocolate pleco (supposedly). 4" long, his head is about an inch wide.
I was afraid because he was so still this morning. I actually knocked on the tank (which I just don't do). Well he blinked and looked at me like "What?" I think he was sleeping. He seems fine. I did put a few drops of melafix in the tank just in case.
He has lived for over a year with these same decorations so I don't see how he could have damaged himself.. THe location of the holes make it difficult to believe he hurt himself on something.. since there is no other evidence of harm. He is the biggest fish in the tank.. He bullies the gouramis if they get too close to "his" food. Even the bichirs stayed away from his area at feeding time.
Thanks for the input so far.

Just keep an eye on him, i don't know as none of my plecos have this attribute. i've seen tears 2 inches long that heal in a matter of a week (tried to introduce my 12' plec into a saratoga tank he was in there for two days but no good)

Be careful with medications, like suggested most are no good for plecos and other scaleless fish! Keep good water, and they'll be very happy! :) Got some pics in my gallery too.

Thanks. Yeah he seems fine. I see him right now cruisin the tank. Oh he just stopped to checkout a leaf. I just offered a slice of peeled grape and some orange. The groumi's are going after the orange. The grape slice sank.
I have used Maracyn 2 in this tank several times before, he was quite small the first time and I had not known then that he was scaleless and should be careful.. So it is either safe for him, or he has grown accustomed to it. I checked the water again this morning, ammonia 0, nitrAtes 7, I'll do a pwc tomorrow and keep an eye on him and the sick betta.

Back
Top Bottom