Question Regarding my Starving Pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MtgVo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all.. My tank has been have issues with algae lately.. There's green stuff all over my tank and I can only scrub so much off of it. So I bought some Plecos to solve my problem. They almost always tend to die. I still have one left though and it's pretty apparent that it is starving. It constantly moves around like no other pleco i've seen before and even fights with the other fish to eat the flakes. I see lotsa green stuff around, why isn't it eating that stuff. The tank has been around for a long time so there should be lotsa algae for it.

Anyone have any idea what's going on with my tank? Is all this green stuff even algae and how do I get it to all go away without scrubbing it all off (It keeps comgin back). Or shoudl I just buy a few giant plecos. Thanks

How large is the tank? Not all pleco's eat algae. Do you know what kind of pleco it is? The larger ones tend to not eat as much algae as the smaller ones do.

Yeah I do feed it Algae Wafers but there should be more than enough Algae in my tank. I'm pretty sure my Pleco eats algae mostly as it's the normal one everyone buys and my LFS told me that's what they eat. Tank is around 140 Gallons. The pleco is still very relatively small.

Is the green stuff on the tank algae? Or could it be something else? :(

Yeah it's defintely the Trinidad Pleco on that site. I can understand why there are sometimes a few odd plecos that dun like the algae but almost every pleco I buy doesn't eat the algae. :(

Perhaps there's other Algae eaters I can buy? I have Peacocks as of now and maybe there are other algae eaters that will go well with them? Thanks again

What kind of algae is it? Blue-green algae is dark, sheet-like and is actually a bacteria and nothing eats it. Plecos ignore most hair algae. True sae or florida flag fish are better. If it is really hard to scub off it may be green spot algae and the only fish that eats it is Sharpus razorius (Malkore's name for the single edged razor blade).

I think it's green spot algae... As there are dots and dots of greenish algae and it's real hard to get off.. So only way to get this stuff away is to put some muscle into it and get it off? Thanks

make sure you supplement your plecos diet with veggies and wafers. THey really really like zucchini, attach it to an ornament with a rubberband or use a veggie clip (my pleco doesn't like moving food) If you supplement their diet, they will be happier and live a long healthy life.

Back
Top Bottom