Question regarding trout

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh by no means.

However the bass is still alive and actually very active.

I wish he'd get a bigger tank for it...but he's one of those people who just doesn't care enough about it.......

Thank you for being honest. This is my only point. Fish like this take massive amounts of water and this is a great hobby that doesn't have to be that hard. This is the kind of thing that someone could rush into, burn out, and never come back.

I have a aunt that has 3 rainbow trout in a 250g tank running two powerheds with a canster filter and the water is at room temp in the summer time 74oF and winter it stays at 78oF. They where the same size as your when she got them. Texas law states that you can keep any wild fish in a home tank as long as it's not a game fish. Like the drum, Those trout are without a dout the brightest and colorfulest fish I have every seen. They eat blood worms,night crawlers, live minows { about 6 each aday }. Her tank was spceail ordered to be 4foot wide. She has had them 6yrs. The tank water is cristal clear, with no more specail care for the water then I do for my tanks. Trout come from hot spring creecks snow run off rivers and some of that rocky mountain snow water. It takes no care at all to keep them. In fact she dose less up keep on her tank then I do on all my 24 tanks.
She tryed R/O water and found that it just took the color from them. A parks and wild life worker came by and looked at the tank and 2 weeks later he had one as well. As with any wild fish be it Apistogramms like I keep or african cichlids matching the water primes where they come from is a must as it will be for you to make them happy for the frist month to two. I'd test the water you got them from and either match the primes like the PH,KH,GH,alka, or just drive and get some from the same spot as you got them. At least til they have ajusted to either tap or distlied water primes whitch ever is closest to there home wate.
As with any wild fish treating for live peracites either on them or in them will be a must to care for them correctly, til they have all of that they will not be truly happy. So i'd say the water primes would be the frist place I'd start then once they get adjusted to new water then the power heads and larger tank. IMO

How anonymous is your account here at aquariumadvice?

Answer is within the User Agreement:

1. You agree not to post or transmit any unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, profane, hateful, racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable material of any kind, including, but not limited to, any material which encourages conduct that would constitute a criminal offense, violate the rights of others, or otherwise violate any applicable local, state, national or international law. You will be responsible for, and indemnify and hold harmless AquariumAdvice.Com and representatives against, any claim arising from any material that you post or transmit. We reserve the right to reveal your identity (or whatever information we know about you) in the event of a complaint or legal action arising from any message posted by you.

Just as an example.....if it's a rainbow trout with an absolute max size of 4ft long, I would recommend a 8ft long by 6ft wide tank thats 2ft tall. That would be a 720 gal tank. It would have to be custom made by yourself or by a company (acrylic would probably be $4,000 +). Alot of money either way.

Chilling it with store bought chillers would cost you about $1800 dollars.

Filtering it with canisters would cost about $400-$500. A sump would be better.

Those are the essentials for their habitat, but you would want to add rocks, gravel, plants to recreate their habitat.

Lighting wouldn't have to be much for that tank but it is 6 ft wide and 8ft long. Around $650 for flourescents, give or take.

Combine that with foods (live worms, minnows, etc.) and tank maintenance items and the overall total could turn out to be over $10,000. You might be able to do it for less if you are a diy person.

I am not trying to do anything illegal as some people seem to think.

Could someone provide me with a link on fish laws etc so I can make sure I am in the clear? This clearly isn't some malicious attempt to break a law etc.

Anyway I REALLY appreciate all the feedback, it is VERY helpful. As stated above I just want to do this right and raise them in a good environment -thus me stepping out and asking for help :)

Thanks guys!

Try to look up your state game and fish department, department of natural resources, or what ever your state calls that department. Another alternative is to go to a store that sells fishing tackle and they should have some copies of fishing regulations that you can take with you.

To truly give these fish what they need, you need a living stream. I watched my husband work with juvie trout for months and it wasn't always pretty~~that story is in a thread linked by verucaproduce.

so looking at this, it seems that if you can catch it, you can keep it? I am sorry I'm completely uneducated on the fishing laws.

I live in washington though. I saw things on catching fish, but nothing on keeping them for anything aside from eating.

That's where they hazy part is. Fishing and hunting implies that it will be used for consumption. I would just either email or call your wildlife department (or whatever it is called) and ask them.

WDFW in Olympia will have the answers you need. I didn't catch you live in Washington. Washingto laws are really messed up and even harder to interpret correctly.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/ . Go here and find the regulations for the water body. Don't release it or at least don't get caught doing so. I hate the laws here and they can be absolute idiots when it comes enforcement.

The fish looks like a trout, probably a rainbow but beardsely look almost the same and so do some salmon. I say keep it so you can't get into any more trouble.

Find out what the regulations are for your area and what is allowed and what isn't. There were a few kids on Lake aberdeen one day that caught some fry that turned out to be Steelhead and their parents almost went to jail for removing the fish. Thankfully the officer was nice and didn't [punish them because it was a mistake and they didn't know the rules.

If you really want to raise trout in an aquarium, go to a local hatchery and ask them if you can have some. You may have to fill out some paperwork, maybe even some other things but at least them you know you would be legal if they will let you have them.

Really depends on the Trout you have. If its a native brook trout (depending on where you live also) they don't get all that big, BUT a rainbow will do very poorly IMHO kept in any tank you can buy at the local store. Either way Trout require LOTS of space, COLD water so a water chiller is a must have since cold water holds oxygen much better than warm water, large pebbels or rounded gravel for a substrate, heavy current, and as someone mentioned earlier a few Larger rocks for them to sit behind till prey or food passes by, lots of High protein food (pellets are what my father uses) because remember these fish are moving 100% of the time and spend a lot of energy in doing so. I wouldnt worry about plants in the tank just lots of filtration and O2.

I happen to have a little video of where my father does some research for farm raising fish. The HUGE 2,000 G green tank is the water storage thats pumped directly from an artesian well then into the 3 tanks (about 1,000 G each) where the fish are kept, there is no filtration in the tanks because the water is constantly being replaced by fresh water straight from the ground. The aeration is placed in a way that does 2 things; 1) makes sure there is plenty of oxygen in the water. 2) Creates a good current so the fish stay active like they would in the wild. Mind you these are not aquarium pets they are rainbow Trout that easily get to 4-5 lbs quickly. There is also an emergency power generator so if the power goes out the water and the aeration keep going because no water flow and no aeration means water that will get warm, lose O2, get dirty fast which means he's going to have a lot of dead fish on his hands. So in her case she would need power back up not only for strong power heads but for the filtration, extra aeration and the water chiller. Anyways here is the video clip. http://s77.photobucket.com/albums/j70/CHBGator/?action=view&current=HPIM0437.flv

Would you please put those little boogers back where you found them and let's close this thread. I mean after all, it is all about the ethics of keeping fish in an aquarium and growing the hobby.

I always tell my children when we go to the fish store, that we are on a rescue mission. We know that we will give the fish the best home possible, because we did our research and know what type of enviroment they need.

Nine times out of ten, if they don't die in the fish store, someone will accomplish that when they take them home!

I say keep it so you can't get into any more trouble

I am sorry fish4all, however this is not responsible advice.

About Aquarium Advice

Copyright © 2002, 2003, 2005 Pet Advice Network, Aquarium Advice