Question: Waterfall from powerfilters & Oxygen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bubble_B0y

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have an aquaclear powerfilter/hang-on back filter.

I was wondering, If I place a plant in front of the waterfall to interfere and break the water current.
Will this affect the oxyen level??

The reason I am asking is because...
The output of water from the waterfall is creating a strong current.
The fish are scared of the current and have trouble swimming across it.

So I put a plant in the middle of the current, to break it up.

I was wondering, does it affect the oxygen level in the tank.
Because, there is no waves anymore, just small ripples

What size tank and filter do you have? Since you've observed less agitation, there will be a reduction in O2. Whether this will have an affect on the fish is solely dependent on how much is still being produced.

Yes, there is LESS agitation (behind the plant, the current is strong....but as the water passes through the plant, its more gentle)

i have a aquaclear 200 on a 10 gallon

also, the fish seem to be fine

they are swimming happily and eating!
In fact, they seem to explore and swim around the ENTIRE tank
(unlike before, when they were scared to swim to the other side and stayed on one side because of the current)

thanks

i was kinda worried for a moment there.

I will keep an eye on my water readings...we don't want any good bacteria competing/starving of oxygen

by the way...

is there any way of Measuring the oxygen level in the tank??

is there a test kit of some kind??

Seraoxygenkit.jpg
Sera Oxygen Test Kit

For determining the oxygen concentration in fresh and saltwater.
Contents: 2 x 15ml of dropper bottle reagent 1 and 2, 20ml measurement vial, directions for use.

:lol:

I dont think you need to worry too much about the o2 level in that tank unless it is really overpopulated. The ac200 moves a good amount of water for that size tank, and there is still a lot of gas exchange going on with the water in the filter and going down the waterfall.

I agree.. :p I quit using airpumps back when I got my first HOB.. havnt used them since for regular day to day O2.. its good to have one incase you have to use heat treatment (not completly nessisary with a HOB either, you can drop the water level or move the spraybar above the water level with a canister filter..)

I use the Tetra Test O2 for marine or freshwater aquariums. I ordered it to use in my planted tank (yet to be planted - but soon). I tested the O2 in my fish tanks and find that my filters are creating plenty with no bubbles just rippling the surface. There has been an on going discussion for a long time about creating bubbles to produce more O2 (and CO2) when needed or whether causing ripples across the surface would create more O2 for the tank. One side says watch the bubbles as they rise, if they get smaller then the water is absorbing O2 and CO2 from the air. If not the tank does not need anything added in the way of gases then there will be no change in size.

The other side says rippling the surface causes a higher gas exchange. Either way they both work as I use both methods . But I know that the ripples work as that is what I use for my large aquariums (20, 29 and 90 gal) for this breaks up the swift current (to some degree as it is at the top) that might be produced as well as adds O2. The exception is in the qt or in some cases the ht, where I use a large sponge filter that operates from an air pump.
caudelfin

There are benefits to knowing how much O2 is present in your tank, especially for those with planted tanks and canister filters with output nozzles under the water surface. Too much and we lose CO2. IMO, you can determine the amount of O2 being produced by the plants as well (as opposed to a non-planted tank).

I haven't researched this, but what is an appropriate level of O2 in a heavily stocked planted tank?

Jchillin said:
There are benefits to knowing how much O2 is present in your tank, especially for those with planted tanks and canister filters with output nozzles under the water surface. Too much and we lose CO2. IMO, you can determine the amount of O2 being produced by the plants as well (as opposed to a non-planted tank).

I haven't researched this, but what is an appropriate level of O2 in a heavily stocked planted tank?

Here is a case of bubbles versus rippling the surface of the water, too much O2 and we drive the required CO2 from the water. While we need to acquire both the best gaseous exchange would be ripples across the surface to the water.

Also what is the appropriate level for CO2 for a heavily stocked planted tank?? We must have a balance of some kind for there must be enough of each for both plants and fish.

Would both questions be subjective to the size of the tank, number of plants, number of fish as well perhaps as the kind and amount of fertilizer?

These questions are interesting to me as I am gathering material for a 20 gal L tank to be planted in low light plants only and I suppose there are answers in the archives but how to find them?
caudelfin

that is a heavily disscussed subject mr86mister.. it isnt enough CO2.. if you dont inject CO2 your best resorce for CO2 is the air in the room.. so aggitation is your best bet..

greenmagi,
Actually Bubble Boy started this thread which has just sort drifted around. :p
c.fin

Back
Top Bottom