Question's About Everything!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishy Aston

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello , I am a very curious fishkeeper i have been in this hobby for just over 3 month's. I am constantly splashing out money for decorations and various potions.

I have two fish tanks one which is 2ft and holds about 100 Litre's.
Another which is About 40 Litre's i guess.

I have lots of decorations but am changing them from plastic fake plants and ornaments into things which my fish will like! Such as driftwood and stuff.

I really want people to guide me to becoming a expert fishkeeper. I am trying to make sure all my fish are happy.

I have bought a few plants and have heard they give out oxygen and stuff is that true?

Is sand better than gravel?
What's the difference?

I know about the cycle and ammonia e.t.c dont need help on that.

Could you see if all these fish are compatible all together?

Fish For The Biggest Fish Tank:

Elephant Nose Fish x1
Albino Corydoras x5
Small Torpedo Barbs x3
Silver Sharks x5
Royal Pleco x1
Angelfish x2
Dawani Catfish x3
Clown Loaches x3
Black Neon x5
Dwarf Pleco x1
Orange Molly x3
Apple Golden Snail x1

Small Fish Tank:

10 Neon Tetra
2 Silver Dollars (Small)
1 Bristle Nose Pleco
4 Red Platys
5 Guppies
2 Afrcain Dwarf Frog's
1 Butterfly Pleco

Could you tell if any of them will fight and if they will be ok together!

Also could you tell me some information on a Rubber Eel as i am looking to get a bigger fish tank which I am hoping to put one in.

Thanks For Reading
I really appreciate your answers.

Also how can you stop things like fin rot and ich?
Seems pretty deadly.

Last edited:
Plants do take and give to your aquarium, if you have a TON of plants in your tank look into a CO2 substance, also I think sand and gravel are the same , you just choose what you like, I know for driftwood you have to soak or boil it to get all the brown leech stuff out of the water, it's not bad for fish, but it's unsightly

Hello , I am a very curious fishkeeper i have been in this hobby for just over 3 month's. I am constantly splashing out money for decorations and various potions.
What "potions" are you buying? Most of those things are unnecessary money holes.
I have two fish tanks one which is 2ft and holds about 100 Litre's.
Another which is About 40 Litre's i guess.

I have lots of decorations but am changing them from plastic fake plants and ornaments into things which my fish will like! Such as driftwood and stuff.

I really want people to guide me to becoming a expert fishkeeper. I am trying to make sure all my fish are happy.

I have bought a few plants and have heard they give out oxygen and stuff is that true?
Yes. They also "eat" nitrates. They absorb ammonia to a much lesser degree.
Is sand better than gravel?
What's the difference?
Really depends. Basically just buy wichever you think looks better and know the limitations of each. Gravel holds nutrients better for plants then sand. Aquarium sand can be more of a pain than pool filter sand or something like that.
I know about the cycle and ammonia e.t.c dont need help on that.

Could you see if all these fish are compatible all together?

Fish For The Biggest Fish Tank:

Elephant Nose Fish x1
Albino Corydoras x5
Small Torpedo Barbs x3
Silver Sharks x5
Royal Pleco x1
Angelfish x2
Dawani Catfish x3
Clown Loaches x3
Black Neon x5
Dwarf Pleco x1
Orange Molly x3
Apple Golden Snail x1
I am not sure what all these fish are but silver shark raises a red flag and I am not sure about the elephant noses max size.
Small Fish Tank:

10 Neon Tetra
2 Silver Dollars (Small)
1 Bristle Nose Pleco
4 Red Platys
5 Guppies
2 Afrcain Dwarf Frog's
1 Butterfly Pleco
Sounds good to me!
Could you tell if any of them will fight and if they will be ok together!

Also could you tell me some information on a Rubber Eel as i am looking to get a bigger fish tank which I am hoping to put one in.
No idea. I am not an eel keeper.
Thanks For Reading
I really appreciate your answers.
Answers in red :)

For the 100 Litre tank, the clown loaches will eventually outgrow it (I am sure you knew that :D) I think that tank will be overstocked. I have read about elephant noses being a nightmare to feed at times, but I have never owned one. The silver sharks grow to be around 30cm I believe so they will outgrow it as well. The torpedo barbs will grow and are very active :)

Sand is in my opinion better. It depends what you want. I use sand for my cories and loaches, and I see you have those on your list so if I were you I would go with the sand :) Sand looks cleaner overall. Algae does not grow on sand like it does on gravel. In my opinion, having had both gravel and sand, sand is easier to clean and looks way more natural.

I think the tanks are a bit overstocked and some fish will outgrow it but you may have already worked all that out :D

For the 100 Litre I would keep:

I would miss out the elephant nose. That alone could overstock your tank
The Silver Sharks will be too big
I think the Torpedo barbs will outgrow it as well (Could do with at least 5 as well)

I don't know about the Dawani Catfish.

I would say

1 x Bristlenose Pleco (I assume this is what you meant by Dwarf Pleco)
1 x Apple Snail
3 x Orange Mollies
5 x Albino Cory (You could make this up to 6, but you don't have to)
8 x Black Neon (They will be happier in a bigger group)

IMO if you missed out the angelfish, that stocking would be fine.

Hope this helps :D

I think i am going to leave the Elephant Nose fish out

Till i get a bigger tank sometime in Sept.

CherryBarb123 said:
For the 100 Litre tank, the clown loaches will eventually outgrow it (I am sure you knew that :D) I think that tank will be overstocked. I have read about elephant noses being a nightmare to feed at times, but I have never owned one. The silver sharks grow to be around 30cm I believe so they will outgrow it as well. The torpedo barbs will grow and are very active :)

Sand is in my opinion better. It depends what you want. I use sand for my cories and loaches, and I see you have those on your list so if I were you I would go with the sand :) Sand looks cleaner overall. Algae does not grow on sand like it does on gravel. In my opinion, having had both gravel and sand, sand is easier to clean and looks way more natural.

I think the tanks are a bit overstocked and some fish will outgrow it but you may have already worked all that out :D

For the 100 Litre I would keep:

I would miss out the elephant nose. That alone could overstock your tank
The Silver Sharks will be too big
I think the Torpedo barbs will outgrow it as well (Could do with at least 5 as well)

I don't know about the Dawani Catfish.

I would say

1 x Bristlenose Pleco (I assume this is what you meant by Dwarf Pleco)
1 x Apple Snail
3 x Orange Mollies
5 x Albino Cory (You could make this up to 6, but you don't have to)
8 x Black Neon (They will be happier in a bigger group)

IMO if you missed out the angelfish, that stocking would be fine.

Hope this helps :D

I agree with this stocking plan. If you want one angel you'd have to swap it with the mollies. 100L is about 26g.

To avoid fin rot keep your water clean and fish healthy and not stressed.
To avoid ich quarantine new fish for at least 2 weeks.
Neither is deadly if caught early and both are (usually) pretty easy to cure.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom