Questions about feeding guppies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Celaw

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have few questions about feeding, since most videos regarding feeding fish are kind of vague due to various species of fish. So here are my questions,

My tank details are in my profile,

Should flake food be ground up before putting into tank?

What is a good measurement of the amount of food that should go into the tank? Tablespoon? Teaspoon? For my fish stock.

I have some pleco wafers that contain zucchini, but my fish LOVE them despite them being a sinking food for the shrimp. If I want to supplement the diet a bit, Can I feed a combination of a single wafer (Their no bigger than your thumb nail) and flake food? If I do this should I break up the wafer?

Is it ok to feed my guppies every other day? I'm getting a lot of mixed information about this online.

What are some other great combinations of food to make sure all of my guppies are getting there fill?

:thanks:

Guppies are not demanding fish and readily accept everything you give them. Flake food is best and you don't need to soak it or anything. If you like you can crush a little with your fingers. Also micro pellets a good choice like hikari or any other micro pellets.

About quantity it depends on number of fish you have. I don't like the rule "Feed amount of food your fish which they can consume in two three minutes" I always feed what they can eat in five to ten minutes. Some fish are shy and some are bold. Every fish should get its fair share. Also I am against feeding alternate days as well. Must feed your fish twice daily for healthy colors and breeding. Yes I know people feed every other day. They do it to make there water clean. Yes fish can survive many days without food but its our pet and we should feed it good always to keep it happy. Just always make sure you don't overfeed. Should be no food leftovers.

Some people also advise to feed very less but like three four times which I don't agree because of same reason that some fish may not get there share.

About waffers yes you can feed. If fish love then why not? You can supplement diet like buy two three foods and rotate. Flakes, pellets and or spirulana etc or algae waffers as u said.

Again guppies are not demanding and will stay healthy on any food you offer them.

Hello Cel...

Most flaked and freeze dried foods are designed to nourish most aquarium fish. I use Hikari and Tetra foods and put several kinds in a small blender and run the foods into a near powder. This feeds all my fish including the bottom feeders. I feed a couple of times daily, roughly one-eighth teaspoon, with a day I don't feed and allow the fish to forage and clean up the tank a bit. I include pellets and wafers from time to time too.

I do large, weekly water changes of at least half the water in the tank. So, any uneaten food that dissolves in the water is removed.

B

Thank you both! I will move to feeding them everyday and on the day I do my water change, I will let them forage. Also I will definitely poke around my local pet store for the Hikari which you both recommended and mix that up with the flake food.

Thanks again guys!

Thank you both! I will move to feeding them everyday and on the day I do my water change, I will let them forage. Also I will definitely poke around my local pet store for the Hikari which you both recommended and mix that up with the flake food.

Thanks again guys!
Good luck.

I have Swordtails,Molly and catfish. So I feed a mixture of flake and sinking pellet. They all love the pellets especially.

Back
Top Bottom