Questions about how to unpack and acclimate fish that arrive in the mail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aliray

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have kept fish on and off for 60 years. However I have never bought fish on line before and have no clue how to unpack and acclimate My new babies which are coming next week. They are 2 - li44 bn plecos. I do know not to net them. However they will be coming in one bag I think, but will be going into seperate tanks. I have never dealt with a breather bag, haven't even seen one but from what I have read, you can't soak it in tank water. Please help. What water do you use? Or do you take some of the tank water from both tanks? I am also assuming that there will be more of a temp difference then when you buy them from the pet store? Any help would be appreciated and I am off to the pet store to buy some more driftwood...:fish2::dance::fish1::thanks:...Alison

I really don't know other than what I have read. The place they are shipped from I would expect would have the instructions you need. Hope someone will help you. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I'd float the bag for 30 min then drip for another 45..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have done it several time and it is really no big deal. I put mine in an appropriate sized bucket for the size of the fish. Drip acclimate for a while and then put them in the tank. I have actually never lost a fish I got in the mail. Parasites and other nasty stuff that I have had to treat that is another story.

Best thing to do is to do a small happy dance when they arrive to let them know they are in a fun, joyful atmosphere. Then you will want to either use the drip method or float the bags in the tank to get the temp right. While doing this, its important to sing holiday songs to make the whole process less stressful. After 30 min, you can release them. If you wish to not use a net, I suggest a Tupperware that you pop holes in, then poor them into this container over a bucket so the water they are in can drain out, and then you dump them in new tank. Make sure when doing this step you are STILL singing the xmas music or you will have to start all over.

Best thing to do is to do a small happy dance when they arrive to let them know they are in a fun, joyful atmosphere. Then you will want to either use the drip method or float the bags in the tank to get the temp right. While doing this, its important to sing holiday songs to make the whole process less stressful. After 30 min, you can release them. If you wish to not use a net, I suggest a Tupperware that you pop holes in, then poor them into this container over a bucket so the water they are in can drain out, and then you dump them in new tank. Make sure when doing this step you are STILL singing the xmas music or you will have to start all over.

The happy dance is a must! I do one everytime :)

I am still laughing:lol:...and I have been practicing:dance:..Thank you for the post Alison:flowers:

Anytime! It's always worked for me. My cat enjoys it as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom