Questions about lots of stuff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wilson

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a few questions about my cory cat. About the past few weeks its been looking as though he was dead, id go to get the net and he would start swimming around againg. So do they play dead? I have noticed that a few of his fins are a alittle nipped on, but would this cause such odd behaviour. Tonight i also noticed that he was laying on his side, and then he would swim a bit and flop himself on his side again.

I also have a spare 10g aquarium that i was thinking of making planted. I was going to use 2 9w maybe compact fluorescent bulbs that screw in because i have an incandescent light and i dont want to have to do C02 injection. Now i have the tank, hood without bulbs, an ac 150(this is missing the little plastic piece between the impeller and u-tube on the inside of filter), and also a hob heater. I also have a bag of arag-alive(i think) that was for a nanoreef tank i was going to start, but then was unable to. Would i be able to use that as a substrate. Now i have to discuss this with my mom, and i am unsure what she will say(other ideas of mine she has siad no like about getting an oscar) but i would also just like to know what would be good, so i could use it for future reference. So would that be ok setup, or what suggestions would you have.

For fish i was thinking:
1 betta(i seen some at walmart and i felt bad for them), 3 panda cories, and maybe 2-3 black tetras.
or3-4 dwarf puffers, and an octinulus.
Or
What ideas do you think would be cool in this tank. Im open to lots of ideas.

Thanks for the time, even if i cant get the planted tank, it will still be cool to learn about it. Thank You.

The cory cats need algae tablets or pellets for food. If they aren't getting enough to eat, they could be getting sick. They also like hiding places, mine like a small clay pot turned on its side - this way they can hide if they are being picked on. You don't mention what else you have in the tank with them - but the water parameters might not be right for them.

Be careful with the sand in the 10 gallon tank. This can raise your PH. It is more suitable for SW or a nano-reef.

Ok thanks. I have angelfish, a RTBS, a albino cory (aobut 9 years old), a few tetras, a pleco, and an annostumus cigar fish in the tank with it.
What would be a good planted tank substrate, will just regular fish tank sand i can buy from the LFS work?

Feed him a little more and if that dosent work treat him.

Dwarf Puffers ae fiesty little devils and need a tank with just Dwraf Puffers.

Jutsmy two cents.

Dan :)

just thought i would give some attention to the list of fish you mentioned i would not put a betta in with blk skirt tetras they will nip his fins to bits jmo

my cousin had to move his dwarf puffer
(actually not too small anymore)
into his 10g with 2 blue gouramis, and within 1hr one gourami had no fins and is borderline dead right now.....we watched the puffer for 20 mins and it didnt even go near the gourami, the we cam back and it was sunk to the bottom and hardly moving.

Back
Top Bottom