questions about my otto

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chapin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
MIAN QUESTION, CAN I HAVE AN OTTO IN A COLD TANK???

Hi people its me again. About a week ago, i saw on the internet people feeding their otto with cucumber. My otto is almost 3 inches long and about 1cm thick. I feed him with spirulina caps and he eats whatever diatom appears in the aquarium. Should i give him cucumber too? He looks healthy, he swims and eats all the time. Is he going to grow more than that? is spirulina enough for a good diet?

Thank you ppl in advance, i know you will give me good advices as usual. Have a great day

Chapin

Last edited:
How cold is cold?? People have kept Otos with goldfish at temps down to 70.

<Note there are issues with mixing goldfish with Otos ... this is not a blanklet endorsement.>

well cold ad in a goldfish tank. Im facing a diatom problem, and i know ottos love it. Since i bought my first otto for my platty aquarium, he eats the diatoms, i wanted to know if it is possible in my goldfish tank. And also, what would be the issues between goldfish and ottos?

I'm curious about the oto being 3 inches long? Is that a typo or are there species that aren't necessary dwarfsuckermouth catfish in the hobbyist version of dwarf? My three otos hardly exceed 3 inches length combined. . .

Is your goldfish tank heated? If not, what is the temp in the house? The otos will prob be OK in an unheated tank as long as the house temp never drops below 70, although they prob will do better in a heated tank into the mid 70's.

Problem with mixing otos & goldfish is that the goldfish might try to eat the oto. The spine in the Oto will get stuck in the gold's throat, killing both fish. This is generally a problem with larger golds & smaller otos. <I missed the 3" size ... otos are supposed to grow only to 1.5 to 2".> As long as the oto is bigger than the gold's mouth, you should be fine. <You might be surprised by how large a goldie's mouth can be!!> At the goldies forums, there are plenty of examples of peaceful co-existence between Otos & goldies. There are also cases of fatalities involving golds of 3-4" size. So, mix the 2 at your own peril!

Back
Top Bottom