Questions about Oranda behavior?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OceanOz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
A few weeks ago I posted about my Oranda, Lionheart, being attacked by our koi. We can since moved him out of the pond (and actually rehomed our koi), and he's healed beautifully and is a happy little guy again!
But it should be noted that, from the previous attack, he is blind on his right side)

So he wouldn't be alone, my boyfriend got him 2 *tiny* baby Oranda to keep him company. They're quite cute together and seem to really be happy together. However, I have noticed a few odd things that I'd like cleared up.

The smaller Oranda seem to do this funny thing where they trying to swim up into his (or her) tail fins. They aren't nipping and it seems playful, but I'm wondering why they do that? Are they hiding or playing a game? They also ocassionally do it to each other. Btw, Lionheart doesn't even seem to notice when they do this, unphased.
Also the larger of the 2 babies (a fractional size difference) will sometimes chase the smallest one. He never seems scared, and a few minutes later they're rubbing against each other and playing in Lionheart's tail again.
Also, is the rubbing against each other an affectionate thing? They don't rub on plants or the decor, and I am an avid checker for fungus, parasites, and any little thing that could go wrong.

Now the 3 of them are currently in an 20 Gallon tank.
Lionheart is about 4 inches and the babies are less than 2. Is this over crowded?

We have a 2nd 35gal for our Red Cap (he's about 5.5" and I'm sure he's male) and 2 Tetra.
Should I move one of the smaller ones into the 35gal or would this be too dangerous with the size difference? The Red Cap and Lionheart are being kept separate since the Red Cap is larger and Lionheart is still regrowing his wen & left fin. (and may be kept separate indefinetly)

AND LASTLY, we are moving into our new home in 2 weeks and shall be putting everyone in a 150gal.

I know these are a lot of questions, but thanks for reading all this and giving the advice you can! xD

Back
Top Bottom