Questions about Quarantine Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jenatron

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I realized today I need a quarantine tank. :bulb:
I did a little searching online but I wanted to get some opinions/info. from ya'll.

I was planning on getting one of those little dorky 2.5g Minibow tanks.

That brings my first question. I read that IF I need to treat with medication, that carbon filters remove copper-based medication. In that case do I simply remove the carbon filter pad?
Also, IF I did indeed treat with a copper-based medication, I was told the copper could stay on the fish? I was planning on getting some Red Cherry Shrimps, and I know they can't tolerate copper. So, would the fish indeed bring copper into the main tank after treatment and recovery? If that's true, how can I avoid it?

Also, I was wondering, when I get my RCS's, do I quarantine them as well? This seems like a silly question to me but I just want to make sure..

Next, as a preventative measure should I keep the heater on a high setting in the QT tank? If yes, how high?

Should I feed the fish in the QT tank special food, like anti-parasitic foods?

I've heard of salt as treatment. But would I also use salt in the QT tank for preventative measures? To be certain, what is the ratio of salt:gallons of water? And how often do I use the salt?
Also, I've heard "aquarium salt" is a gimmick? What exactly do you use instead? Not table salt. :lol:

How do I clean it between fish? Do I need to take it down to clean it?

And I guess the last question is just general:
In a QT tank besidesss all that junk up there ^, I just have a tank with some gravel, a filter, light, heater? And keep new fish in there for 1 month?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just really happy with my new tank and want to do everything in my power to prevent problems.
Thanks! :)

I was under the impression that carbon didn't affect the copper treatment so I'm unsure about that one. Maybe it has something to do with the different types of copper treatments out there...

Really with freshwater I rarely Qt the fish because I've noticed there's not too many contagious diseases out there and they all seem pretty visable if you know what to look for. Also i don't have any inverts so I can always treat my display tank without any real long term trouble. Still, better safe than sorry so go ahead and get one.

As for the aquarium salt I think it's a must but ask if your LFS uses it first. If they don't use it and you do it will be a difficult transition on your fish. I belive it helps against infections and parasites by helping the slimecoat, it calms the fish down, it adds electrolytes to the water, and allows their gills to function better. The correct dosage is on directions. I think it's about a table spoon per 10g's. Read up on your fish though because some fish do best at a much lower amount. If you do a 10% PWC then add back 10% of the original amount you put in. It doesn't have to be perfectly accurate.

If you want to feed your fish something special when treating them you could buy a medicated food or I heard soaking the food in garlic helps alot too but I would read up on that.

As for the temperature of the tank, just keep it a normal temp to make the transition easier and then raise it to maybe 80-82 (depending on the fish) when your treating with medication. The temp increase increases the life cycle rate of the parasites so they go away faster if being treated. If you're not treating them I think they just multiply faster in warmer waters.

I doubt the fish alone would bring in enough copper to affect the shrimp. I would just do a water change after re-adding them.

Feel free to correct me if anything I said was inaccurate.

Last edited:
You are talking about a QT tank and hospital tank. They can be the same, but usually not together, unless the QT fish prove to be sick.

So I realized today I need a quarantine tank.
I did a little searching online but I wanted to get some opinions/info. from ya'll.

I was planning on getting one of those little dorky 2.5g Minibow tanks.

Okay for one small fish at a time.

That brings my first question. I read that IF I need to treat with medication, that carbon filters remove copper-based medication. In that case do I simply remove the carbon filter pad?

Over come this easily by using filter floss or a sponge and other medium such as ceramic rings, purigen, etc.

Also, IF I did indeed treat with a copper-based medication, I was told the copper could stay on the fish? I was planning on getting some Red Cherry Shrimps, and I know they can't tolerate copper. So, would the fish indeed bring copper into the main tank after treatment and recovery? If that's true, how can I avoid it?

Not enough to contaminate future tankmates.

Also, I was wondering, when I get my RCS's, do I quarantine them as well? This seems like a silly question to me but I just want to make sure..

The general consensus is that shrimp (and most other inverts) are not carriers of disease that effect fish. With that said, I always qt new inverts for the 3 weeks or more, same as new fish.

Next, as a preventative measure should I keep the heater on a high setting in the QT tank? If yes, how high?

Temp should match the needs of the fish if a QT, condition if used as a hospital.

Should I feed the fish in the QT tank special food, like anti-parasitic foods?

Only if you suspect a parasitic infection.

I've heard of salt as treatment. But would I also use salt in the QT tank for preventative measures? To be certain, what is the ratio of salt:gallons of water? And how often do I use the salt?

Only if needed, such as for ich, or extreme fungal infections. Salt is not needed at all for healthy fresh water fish.

Also, I've heard "aquarium salt" is a gimmick? What exactly do you use instead? Not table salt.

Buy non-iodized sea salt in bulk at health food store for best price.

How do I clean it between fish? Do I need to take it down to clean it?

Just let her roll. Don’t use lighting to prevent algae from appearing.

And I guess the last question is just general:
In a QT tank besidesss all that junk up there ^, I just have a tank with some gravel, a filter, light, heater? And keep new fish in there for 1 month?

If you already have this, use it instead of a tiny tank. However, a no gravel is much better for fish in QT or hospitalized.

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just really happy with my new tank and want to do everything in my power to prevent problems.
Thanks!

Good for you! Yes, it is important to buy the healthiest looking fish you can, but always, always, always, qt new fish.

Back
Top Bottom